GFI Trips when power turned off.

Old 08-21-11, 08:31 PM
GFI Trips when power turned off.

I'm doing a bathroom remodel and wired a new 20amp circuit to a GFI then to a switch for the bathroom fan. I went to give a try and it tripped instantly, checked my connections and it tripped again. On the third try I accidently left the switch on and the fan worked fine. Turned the fan/switch off and it tripped the gfi and breaker. What are some potential problems I should be looking for when it trips when turned in off?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-11, 08:59 PM
Something I could try. I don't believe the fan needs to be protected by the GFCI so do I still need to connect it to the load side or could I run it off the line side? Thats assuming that it is possible and that the load side is meant more for further receptacles?

Old 08-21-11, 09:03 PM
The GFCI works by detecting a difference in current flow between neutral and hot, as I understand it. Obviously, when turned off there should be no flow and, thus, no difference.
Frankly, there isn't a need for a GFCI on a bathroom fan, but that isn't your issue. You have some kind of contact between the hot lead and neutral or ground. Check your wiring to switches, outlets, and the fan for starters. Next, be certain you didn't punch a staple through the romex. Check back if you don't find anything obvious.

Last edited by pcboss; 08-21-11 at 09:48 PM. Reason: correction in terms
Old 08-21-11, 09:09 PM
It detects a difference in current flow between hot and neutral. If it detects more than 6MA, it trips.

Last edited by pcboss; 08-21-11 at 09:49 PM.