Sump pump exterior junction box with receptacle

Old 08-22-11, 02:22 PM
Sump pump exterior junction box with receptacle

I'm wiring up a new outdoor sump pump basin. The basin is buried a few feet from the house. My plan is to mount an exterior rated (Nema 3 or 4) junction box on the outside wall and then put a GFCI receptacle inside that box. I have already run wires from the pump, piggyback switch & overflow alarm through 1-1/4" conduit. Once I pick a box, I will run that conduit into the bottom of the junction box and will run my feed from the house into the back of the box.

Zoeller makes a box for this purpose which they call Qwik-Box but I'd prefer to just use a generic exterior junction or disconnect box. Zoeller's box serves as an approved disconnect as well---it doesn't have a switch---you just open the door and pull the plug. That's what I'd like to do.

Qwik-Box Pump Control and Alarm Systems | Zoeller Pump Company

How would I mount a receptacle inside a junction box? I'd also like to use a terminal strip to attach the alarm wire inside the box.

I need to put the pump plug into the piggyback switch plug which makes that combination about 5" long so would need to mount a plug sideways inside the box.

I'd prefer to not hardwire as I want to be able to plug into a generator in-case of power failure. I'm also a bit squeamish to cut the plug off a $500. pump.

Here are the boxes I bought yesterday. I'm inclined to use the "Outdoor Enclosure" Wiegmann box as it's basic and generic. But, there is nothing inside it to attach a receptacle and terminal strip.

Thanks for any ideas you could share. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong type of exterior boxes and there are some that have attachment places inside.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-11, 02:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
All of those boxes are for hard-wired connections. To actually install a receptacle inside the box you would need to mount a small handy box inside the bigger box. I think what would meet your need would be one similar to the upper left box pictured but larger, probably like an 8x8 or 8x12 NEMA 3R. This would be considered an "access panel" in my opinion and not a junction box due to the issues with using the flexible cord. The code doesn't have a great way to deal with exterior plug-in pumps like yours, and I think the solution you have is as good as any.

You might want to check for a small outdoor subpanel on sale at the big boxes. You can gut out the subpanel parts and just use it as a spacious 3R enclosure.

Old 08-22-11, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the suggestions ibpooks. Is this what you had in-mind?

You're right that I'll need a larger box as there will only be 4" in-front of the plug with this 6x6 box. Would I just screw the handy box into the junction box's back panel in whatever way I choose?

Could I just buy some terminal strips (like a small neutral bus bar) and screw them in anywhere too (for the two alarm wires)?

I'll look at prices of panel boxes but I'll bet using a junction box like this will be a lot cheaper. I'm hoping to keep the box as small as possible too.

Thanks.

Old 08-22-11, 04:30 PM
Why not just use a bellbox and a bubble cover?

Old 08-22-11, 04:45 PM
The pump has to plug into the piggyback switch's plug which makes those two plugs about 5" long. I need a box that has a receptacle inside that is mounted sideways.

Old 08-22-11, 05:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The problem I see with the box as pictured is that it would be very hard if not impossible to wire the GFI. Also how would the cords enter the box?

Old 08-22-11, 05:11 PM
If you buy a cheap 2-space breaker panel, you can gut it and mount the handy box on top facing down and still have plenty of bending radius. Just be sure to use a bushing where the cable exits the box.

Old 08-22-11, 06:25 PM
Instead of a jerry rigged box, why not buy a Midwest Power Outlet like this.

http://www.midwestelectric.com/catalog/pdf/MET-011.pdf

The U010010GRP has one GFI outlet pre-installed.

Old 08-22-11, 06:31 PM
Joe, The pump has to plug into the piggyback switch's plug which makes those two plugs about 5" long. I need a box that has a receptacle inside that is mounted sideways. The Midwest units are 5" deep total (box and cover) so I couldn't close the lid.