power out in room breaker not tripped

Old 08-22-11, 07:53 PM
power out in room breaker not tripped

Hi y'all, OK I know this question has been posted numerous times and I sifted through many of them but none really helped my situation. So here it goes.

My light switch on my ceiling fan went out so I replaced it. Before I closed everything up I checked to make sure it worked and it did. After finishing, I flipped the breaker back on and saw I lost power to the bedroom. The room across the hall shares the same breaker and it's power was on. After tracing all three outlets in the room, the light switch in the wall and the connections in the fan everything seemed ok. after a couple hours i gave up, went to bed. Next morning power was on. no problems for a week until I pulled the light chain and the room died. after a time I replaced the outlet (it was backstabbed) where (I believe) the power comes in and then branches to the fan and then to all other points in the room. No problems until tonight. Same thing, pulled chain bye bye power. I checked another outlet and it was backstabbed also. replaced it. still no power.

so questions are, a) could it be that the switch on the fan is faulty (only time power goes out is when I pull it and didn't happen b4 I replaced it) and b) how do I restore power to room? I flipped breaker on and off so that didn't do it. Also there are no gfci's in the room.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-11, 08:18 PM
Group Moderator
Is there a bundle of white wires in the back of the switch box? If so have you removed the wire nut and checked both the wires and inside of the wire nut for corrosion?

Old 08-22-11, 08:21 PM
Maybe there's a loose connection in the fan box and when you pull the chain you vibrate it loose.

Old 08-22-11, 08:28 PM
Yes all wire connections look good and I re-twisted all connections to be safe. none look corroded, burnt or otherwise. power is back on, by itself. In morning I will replace the other two outlets as I am sure they are backstabbed

Old 08-23-11, 03:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are we talking "switch" in the wall or in the fan canopy itself? If in the canopy, then you have a neutral that is loose, IMO. Go back in the fan canopy and make sure all the white wires are secured, as well as the black and blue wires. It is too symptomatic for it to be elsewhere. Good that you are removing all backstabs to the screw heads. There is another common cause of lost power.

Old 08-23-11, 03:59 AM
Chandler, yes I re checked all connections in the canopy (that's the switch that had broken the first time)/ I re did all connections to be sure the were good. everything is working now, just would have liked to solve the problem rather than have power come up by itself.

Old 08-23-11, 04:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is this fan further controlled by a wall switch? If so, again, bets are a loose wire on a stab back at the switch. Let us know.

Old 08-23-11, 06:10 PM
Yes Chandler I have a wall switch but generally the fan stays on and I turn on the light via pull chain on the canopy. This is when the power goes out in the room. I changed all the backstabbed outlets this morning and as of now everything works. Thanks for all of your help. I'll let you all know if I have further issues.
Also, the wall switch is not backstabbed.

Old 08-27-11, 04:37 PM
well it crapped out again when I pulled the chain, removed the whole fan, waiting for power to magically return. Power was nice for 4 days

Old 08-31-11, 03:27 AM
There is an intermittent connection somewhere. The practice of many electricians doing everything as cheaply as possible makes troubleshooting more difficult. It would be much easier if only that one room was on the circuit.

Did you check the connections inside the box in the ceiling to which the fan is mounted?