Placment of outlet for Pool Pump

Old 08-24-11, 11:10 AM
Placment of outlet for Pool Pump

I know that according to code all outlets should be no closer than 10' from the rim of a pool unless the outlet is related to running pool equipment, then it can be no closer than 5'. My question is how that distance is measured. I have an above ground pool with a 3 1/2' deck around it. The deck is about 4' above the ground with a railing above that. I was wondering if placing the pool pump receptacle on one of the posts for the pool deck would meet the 5' requirement as I have seen where you have to measure around intervening structures.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-11, 11:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The inspector usually allows you measure around a permanent structure like a deck. If it's in the open you measure horizontally from the inner rim of the pool.

Old 08-24-11, 11:28 AM
So to be clear, I would measure the width of the deck, the hight of the rail and then back down to the placment of the outlet?

Old 08-24-11, 12:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes they will often allow that method.

NEC 680.22 (6) Measurements. In determining the dimensions in this section addressing receptacle spacings, the distance to be measured shall be the shortest path the supply cord of an appliance connected to the receptacle would follow without piercing a floor, wall, ceiling, doorway with hinged or sliding door, window opening, or other effective permanent barrier.

Old 08-30-11, 12:44 PM
I have run the conduit now I just have to pull the wires.

Thanks for the help