Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Who knows a thing or two about Watertight Plugs/Connectors

Old 08-24-11, 02:45 PM

I've called tech support and they did not give me a *informed answer*. I was advised it was a decision call on my part....

So here goes. I'm using 10/3 SJ cord with Daniel Woodhead watertight plugs/connectors. They have various grommets in each one to use depending on what cord you are using.

Is it supposed to be a *friction tight* fit when I put the grommet on the cable OR if I hold the cable up, is it OK that the grommet is loose enough that it will slide down.

My issue is either the grommet is too small or it's too large IMO.
Too small in that if I spend 7 minutes working in pulling the grommet on, I can ust barely get the cable flush into the grommet (I obviously need to have to grommet down even further).

If I use the next sized up grommet, it's about 1/16 space which allows it to freely move on the cable.

I can see that when you tighten the cap on, the taped design has SOME compression on it. However, IMO, the cable service entrance may/could allow water into it just to the *looser grommet*.

For anyone who has worked with this sort of plug/connector, how has yours fitted.
Maybe I need to go to a different supply house and see how another 12/3 SJ fits the grommets.....

Last edited by pingable; 08-24-11 at 03:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-11, 03:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Could you post a pic of the connector?

Old 08-24-11, 03:08 PM
I can take a pic when I back of it broken down.....

Old 08-24-11, 03:41 PM
In this pic, I unscrewed the cap.
You can see how the grommet sits inside the connector body.

Now this grommet CAN slide freely on the cord but if you look in the 1st pic, the grommets are tapered.

So as you can see, I removed the cap and the grommet is still in the connector body.
I don't believe that there is THAT much compression going on to truly seal the cord entrance side....

And that next smallest grommet, maybe about 8 hrs, alot of swearing , maybe a heatgun, or plenty of Crisco, I might be able to use the smaller grommet...

Old 08-24-11, 04:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That is what I thought you were dealing with. I would either soap the cable so the gland slides easier or drill out the gland slightly.

Old 08-24-11, 05:37 PM
Aren't you supposed to wrench-tighten the back piece on so the gland deforms to fit around the cable?

Old 08-24-11, 05:50 PM
The end is hand tighten. It bottoms out to the body --- no wrench needed.

Go figure....it never dawned on me to drill out the really snug grommet.

Old 08-24-11, 06:15 PM
More likely as not the grommets are sized to type S cable and not type SJ.

Old 08-25-11, 05:08 PM
Maybe this is just too obvious, but I think I would call the Daniel Woodhead rep before I did anything else. If I am not mistaken, I believe Woodhead uses their own people to rep their products instead of hiring a rep agency. They get better representation that way.