Recessed Outlet Box?

Old 08-28-11, 08:57 PM
Recessed Outlet Box?

I recently installed some loft beds for the kids to free up the floor space in their room and added low profile fluorescent lights under to compensate for the beds blocking out most of the ceiling light output. Unfortunately, the dressers sit right in front of the outlets where they jam against the cord/plug.

Does someone make a box that can recess the outlet deeper into the wall so that the dressers can be placed flush against the wall without damaging the cords?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-11, 09:53 PM
Group Moderator
What you describe is a clock receptacle but they usually have only one plug-in. You might need to install a second receptacle if you have two items to plug in.. If you keep it in the same stud space it wouldn't be hard to do..

Old 08-29-11, 07:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Rays clock receptacle would work, but someone came up with a better idea.

Fan Boxes | Specialty Boxes | Recessed Electrical Boxes and Outlet Boxes | DVFR1BL

You can also get these in 2 gang or look at the multi-gang ones for behind flat screen televisions.

Old 08-29-11, 08:07 AM
Group Moderator
Oh yes, good old Arlington Industries. Much simpler solution then mine.

Old 08-29-11, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Why not just use one of those swivel type adapters that allow the cords to sit flat against the wall? Don't they still make those? I have 3 or 4 still laying around somewhere.....

Old 08-30-11, 05:49 PM
My first thought was to use the adapter, but I didn't find any for grounded plugs. Some I have used in the past have shorted out in the swivel, so I would be looking for something a bit more sturdy anyway.

The Arlington box is just what I had in mind, but now I see that Leviton makes a recessed outlet designed to fit into a standard box. I just have to see if anyone local carries either of these before I hit the web.

Thanks.

Old 08-30-11, 06:01 PM
Could you mount a new receptacle slightly above the top of the dresser and fish wire down the wall to the lower receptacle? Or is the dresser too tall for something like that?

Also, what about a surge protector strip with a flush mount plug?

Old 08-30-11, 06:30 PM
You could also replace the plugs with angle ones.
Hubbell Angle Plug - Commercial Plugs - Hubbell HBL5366CA
Just use the picture for reference. The description says its 20A.

Old 08-30-11, 08:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Something like this might help:

Amazon.com: Ziotek ZT1212590 Power Strip Liberator Flat 18-Inch, 5-Pack: Home Improvement

They have similar plugs with 3-outlet strips or full 6-outlet power strips depending on what you need. The plug is only about 1/2" deep.

Old 08-31-11, 08:12 PM
I am not so sure the recessed outlets or boxes I have seen will be as deep as I would like, so I guess I will look a little closer for the flat plug cords next time I am in town. Thanks, everyone.