Need some advice on on estimate for a job I need done.

Old 08-31-11, 07:43 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need some advice on on estimate for a job I need done.

So, hurricane Irene came and went and decided to leave me a few things to do. The main thing is my electric service. I'll describe my set up to you. There is a pole in front of my house and the wire runs from the pole to my house. There is a wire from another pole that runs to the pole in front of my house. A huge tree fell on the wire that run to the pole in front of my house, causing the pole in front of my house to crack away from my house. This in return ripped the entire mast pole off my house all the way. So basically, my wires are on my front lawn, meter and all. My electrician is going to replace and repair everything and he indicated something about aluminum wire inside the mast(I think that is what it's called). What is a fair estimate for a job of this size? I know prices can vary from region to region. THANKS!

PS: Mods, if prices are not allowed ,please delete my post. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-11, 07:52 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is your breaker box intact? Your profile says NY. If not in or around New York City I'd guess $1000-$2000. New York City area more. If the breaker box needs replacing more.

Old 08-31-11, 08:10 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Is your breaker box intact? Your profile says NY. If not in or around New York City I'd guess $1000-$2000. New York City area more. If the breaker box needs replacing more.
First, thanks for the reply. Yes, breaker box is intact. He mentioned something like $1200-$1500.....

Old 09-01-11, 09:32 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
That's on the low side of what I would have guessed, so I'd say yes it's fair.

Old 09-04-11, 07:30 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 78 Votes on 73 Posts
Really? $1200-$1500? I thought whole service upgrades were in the $1500 range.

Presuming the conduit and service entry wire needs to be replaced, along with the meter pan, it should be what, an hour or two of work to connect it back into the main panel? $200 in materials?
Granted, I'm not a pro, nor do I play one on TV, but that sounds a bit high. Of course if the main panel is damaged, then yes, that's a bunch more work.

Also, FYI, it doesn't really matter if the wire used is aluminum of copper. alum needs to be a bit larger and prepared correctly to the attachment points, but is cheaper. Depending on the length, some electricians will use aluminum, others copper, doesn't really matter.

Old 09-04-11, 09:56 AM
Received 62 Votes on 53 Posts
It's hard to ballpark prices when you cannot see the entire job, but assuming he may have to replace everything including the wiring/conduit into the panel, upgrade grounding to today's codes and pay for the permit, I believe he gave you a fair estimate of the final cost. It may be slightly on the high side which is good. Wouldn't you rather be surprised with a final bill that is slightly less over a final bill that was slightly higher?