Plug in the well water pump?

Old 09-01-11, 06:42 PM
Plug in the well water pump?

Our submersible pump is set up with the usual hard wiring to the pressure switch. Is it possible to wire it with a plug in power supply so it can be plugged into a generator when house power is lost?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-11, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
Old 09-01-11, 07:15 PM
Group Moderator
Your well pump is likely 240 volts. Be sure to check the voltage.

Old 09-07-11, 08:21 AM
My Solution

My solution was to have an electrician add a manual transfer switch that has just a few circuits: Well (240V), downstairs appliance circuit (120v - freezer and sump are on it), Kitchen appliance (120V - refrigerator is on it). In other words, I have just the circuits needed for an emergency outage. This transfer switch is just basically an inexpensive subpanel with a 'toggling' feature that only allows 1 incoming power source at a time - either current from the main panel or from the gen inlet. When the power is off, plug the generator into the house, start the generator, go into the house and switch from the grid to gen power via the breakers in the transfer switch. I run all this with a TroyBilt 3550 generator (it has a 5550 surge). Works great and sips gas for those outages that last several days (5 gallons of gas just last me 2 days running about 12 - 14 hours / day. The setup requires only a little more wiring than an outlet and you don't have extension cords running all over the house and maybe through windows.

Old 09-07-11, 09:24 AM
Group Moderator
Yep, you and your electrician did good. Thanks for letting us know.