Generator failure

Old 09-03-11, 10:49 AM
Generator failure

I have a problem that I don't know how to address. Irene nocked power out for 5 days in my part of NJ. I'm running a 6kw generator by backfeeding the panel. I have an interlock kit installed on the panel to prevent powering the utility lines, This is the interlock specificaly for my panel, Generator InterLock Kit . My problem occurred when the utility power was restored. The generator stopped outputting electricity and the house went dark. I used a volt meter to determine the genny was outputting 9 volts on the 240 side. Right after that I switched back to the utility power to find it had been restored. My question is how did the genny get damaged ? I tested the main breaker by turning it off and looking for voltage after the breaker with a Fluke digital meter. I did not detect voltage, but maybe this is not the right meter to use for small amounts of leakage ? Do I have a problem because the genny and the utility were connected via the neutral and ground wires ?
Did the POCO accidently energize a nuetral and send power into my box and then fix the mistake ? Nothing in the house was damaged and thankfully no linemen were hurt. Any suggestions on what could have went wrong ?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-11, 05:16 PM
Anyone ? Has this never happened to anyone before me ?

Old 09-03-11, 05:22 PM
I've never heard of it happening. It could be just incredibly bad timing/luck.

Old 09-03-11, 06:45 PM
Did the breaker on the genny trip?

Old 09-04-11, 05:43 AM
The breaker on the genny did not trip. The genny is in the repair shop now and based on the voltages its putting out they think the diode went. This genny is 10 years old but lightly used, could the diode be weak ? I'll also ask the repair shop when I get it back. Is there anything else I should check ?

Old 09-04-11, 08:51 AM
While it's at the repair shop, you should get the oil changed, new oil filter, and air filter cleaned.