Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Brief power outage...GFCI has no power/won't reset... but breaker is fine?

Brief power outage...GFCI has no power/won't reset... but breaker is fine?

Old 09-08-11, 01:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You cannot tie into the dishwasher or disposal circuit. The code would prohibit that.

You may be able to add 2 junction boxes to jump the bad spot.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-11, 01:29 PM
Forgive me, obviously I’m not very knowledgeable….

Code will prevent me from the GFCI sharing the DW/Disposal circuit… (I can comprehend this…)
Code also says any outlet within 3 or 6 feet?? of Kitchen sink MUST be protected with GFCI (Basically protecting water/ electrical hazard).

Same code also does NOT require the Dishwasher and disposal to be on a GFCI circuit, although these 2 devices probably mix electricity and water more than any other???

Is this correct?

Old 09-08-11, 02:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Texan1 View Post
Forgive me, obviously I’m not very knowledgeable….

Code will prevent me from the GFCI sharing the DW/Disposal circuit… (I can comprehend this…) Correct.
Code also says any outlet within 3 or 6 feet?? of Kitchen sink MUST be protected with GFCI (Basically protecting water/ electrical hazard). Any receptacle that serves the countertop needs GFI protection.

Same code also does NOT require the Dishwasher and disposal to be on a GFCI circuit, although these 2 devices probably mix electricity and water more than any other??? Correct.

Is this correct?
My answers in Blue.

Your washer is also not required to be GFI protected unless within 6' of a sink or laundry tub.

Old 09-13-11, 12:42 PM
Resolution... and Humility

RESOLUTION: Had a friend of a friend that was an electrician. He came out to look at my problem. Like I, he pulled out all the DR outlets, noted the screwed connections appeared good. Went back to GFCI receptacle, tested again with zero volts. UNLIKE ME, went back to the outlets, and cranked down on ALL the screws to tighten with his impact drill. PROBLEM FIXED. It was a loose connection, in a daisy chained outlet. To the eye (initially his as well), it appeared to be good (wires were wrapped around screw, and moved with outlets, just not tight)

Although a novice, I’m somewhat embarrassed / humbled, but also glad it was an easy fix. I’ve learned my lesson (the humble way) for the next problem. Thanks for everyone input and advice, I’ve learned a lot, and appreciate your comments and thoughts.

Maybe someone else with a similar problem will read this, and tighten those screws as tight as possible…

Old 09-13-11, 01:38 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the update. Myself I would have hand tightened the screws but not power tightened them. To easy with cheap receptacles to strip something. Live and learn.