EGC under romex holddown screw?

Old 09-07-11, 12:03 PM
EGC under romex holddown screw?

I was doing some work for a friend and found in his older home's ceiling pancake boxes what I thought was a code violation. The ground wire was fastened under the romex holdown screw... Now these are steel shallow pancake boxes, and its worked for 40+ years, but I figured that it had to be a violation back then too, no? For sure its not up to UL standards. In one case I found the extra length of ground wire past the screw, shoved up beside the outside of the pancake and plastered over!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-11, 12:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That was a pretty common way of grounding the box at the time, but not approved anymore for new work. You can drill and tap a ground screw (5/32 pilot, #10-32 tap) or if you're lucky the box will have a 3/16" hole already you can put a self-tapper into. You can also move the ground wire to a ground clip on the outer edge of the box.

Personally I usually leave those as-is unless there is some other compelling reason to rewire the box. The thin ground wires of the old romex are fragile and you can break them off if you mess with them too much.

Old 09-07-11, 03:18 PM
This was a common practice, although IIRC, it was never legal.

Old 09-07-11, 04:01 PM
Kinda what I figured, the wiring was in good shape so I just threw in a 10-32 green ground screw with a short pigtail and called it fixed ;-). Thanks guys.