adding a new circuit

Old 09-07-11, 06:43 PM
adding a new circuit

adding a room to the house.......adding 1 20 amp circuit.....the room will have approx 5 recp along with some lighting.....will 1 20 amp circuit be enough or wood i be better off running 2 seperate circuits....I have one slot open in my pannel.......would it bennifit me to use the slim breakers (were i can 2 breakers into 1 slot).......is it ever feasible 2 double up 2 hot wires and put them into a single breaker....thanks for the help......thank you for the help.......

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-11, 06:58 PM
You only need 1 20 amp circuit for this load.Make sure you use 12-2 romex for the 20 amp circuit. As for a breaker i would use a regular 20 amp breaker and if you need a circuit later on use a tandom breaker then or update your panel .Hope this helps .

Old 09-07-11, 07:03 PM
Group Moderator
Some panels take tandems and some don't. Give us the make and model of your panel and one of the Pros can probably tell you. If you can't use tandems, depending on the size of the existing panel, you can probably install a subpanel.

Old 09-07-11, 08:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think a single 20 amp circuit would be fine for a general use room. If you are thinking about using a plug-in heater I would say you would be better off with two circuits. Depending on the code cycle your area has adopted you may need AFCI protection. AFCI protection is not available in a tandem breaker.

Old 09-08-11, 08:50 AM
I think a single 20 amp circuit would be fine for a general use room. If you are thinking about using a plug-in heater I would say you would be better off with two circuits. Depending on the code cycle your area has adopted you may need AFCI protection. AFCI protection is not available in a tandem breaker.
Pennsylvania is under the 2008 code cycle. If it is in any room other than the kitchen, bathroom, basement, utility room, etc. you need AFCI protection.

Old 09-08-11, 04:07 PM
is it acceptable under the nec code to run 2 circuits with 1 breaker....I have 1 circuit with an outside light and 1 outlet...thanks

Old 09-08-11, 04:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It would depend on the circuit. A general use receptacle like for a bedroom or living room could be combined.

Not all breakers can accept two conductors so you would pigtail the two with a short length of wire and connect the one to the breaker.

Old 09-08-11, 05:16 PM
is it acceptable under the nec code to run 2 circuits with 1 breaker....I have 1 circuit with an outside light and 1 outlet...thanks
What company breakers are you using?