Where to get a cover to fit this panel?

Old 09-07-11, 07:00 PM
Where to get a cover to fit this panel?

We recently bought a home built in 1974.

The electrical panel doesn't have the original cover, just a piece of sheet metal modified to fit. I looked for a brand but couldn't find one. There was an Underwriters Laboratory paper lable on the left side, inside but I didn't see anything that would help.
I asked a co-worker who happens to be an ex-electrician and he suggested that once I find the brand I should buy a used one on eBay, just for the cover.
Does that sound like the way I need to go?
Any idea of the brand?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-11, 07:07 PM
One way you might find out the brand is to look at the breakers. They should be the same as the panel.

Old 09-07-11, 08:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Looks to my (totally untrained) eye like a Cutler Hammer panel. The breakers look CH and the bus hold-down looks similar to those I've seen. That said, I haven't seen a main breaker with that configuration before.

This may help, though you're not looking for an interlock, they have pictures of a bunch of different panels:
Generator InterLock Kit - Kit Selection

Old 09-07-11, 08:48 PM
If that's the original 1974 panel, my money says it's a Murray. Look at the main breaker, it's a dead giveaway. That's the same main breaker used in later Crouse Hinds and I believe the newer Murray panels too. Look at the label on the main breaker and read the fine print, it should tell you the manufacturer of the panel. Cutler Hammer only had one series in 1974, the CH series with the classic tan panel boxes and tan handled breakers, it's not a Cutler Hammer.

Old 09-08-11, 09:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It looks about right for a Murray/Siemens panel. You could take your template (makeshift panel cover) to one of the big box stores and hold it up to the demo panels in the store to see if one of the modern brands is close.

Old 09-08-11, 11:06 AM
It looks pretty generic to me. Similar to a Murray and also the Crouse-Hinds in my house. I think that Belgarid's suggestion to look at the make of the circuit breakers is the best idea. Understand that someone may have used a different brand of circuit breaker during upgrades so whatever name is most prevalent would by my guess for the original manufacturer.

Old 09-08-11, 12:37 PM
Group Moderator
I agree with the others.
Most of the breakers installed are ITE/Siemens with the exception of the bottom left which are Bryant/Murry. I would suspect it is an ITE panel except the main breaker doesn't look right. Is there any markings on the main breaker?

You might be able to get a panel cover from an electrical supplier that carries used parts. We have one in town here that really carries a lot of good stuff.

Old 09-08-11, 02:44 PM
Thanks all! I take a closer look at the breakers, especially the main.

Old 09-08-11, 02:50 PM
Group Moderator
The panel is full and in at least one case two circuits have been pigtailed to one breaker. I'd say time to replace the panel with a 40 slot panel.

Old 09-08-11, 04:20 PM
It also looks like the main should be up a couple of spaces.

Old 09-08-11, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
The panel is full and in at least one case two circuits have been pigtailed to one breaker. I'd say time to replace the panel with a 40 slot panel.
I'm with Ray. Stop and think about it, that Murray panel has a 37 year old aluminum bus, it's near it's end of life. Replace it with a good copper bus panel.

Old 09-08-11, 06:42 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by CasualJoe View Post
I'm with Ray. Stop and think about it, that Murray panel has a 37 year old aluminum bus, it's near it's end of life. Replace it with a good copper bus panel.
On second thought, I third that! You will spend more time (and gas) looking for a cover. Replace it with a Siemens 40 circuit panel and you can reuse most of the breakers. Nice thinking Ray!

Old 09-08-11, 06:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
It also looks like the main should be up a couple of spaces.
Normally the position is set by the manufacturer, not the installer.

Old 09-08-11, 06:54 PM
On second thought, I third that! You will spend more time (and gas) looking for a cover. Replace it with a Siemens 40 circuit panel and you can reuse most of the breakers. Nice thinking Ray!
Same here. Replace it!