Urgent help with ground receptacle

Old 09-08-11, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Urgent help with ground receptacle

An old receptacle broke off in my hand as I was trying to pull it away from the wall for some repair work to the drywall.

It has 4 wires plus a ground. I have very little wire to play with.

Being as dumb as I am, I forgot to write down the proper locations of the wire to be inserted into the new receptacle. Is it correct to assume that two black wires go on one side, and two white wires go on the other side? I check the other receptacles and they are all wired by three wires only, so I am assuming that this one must provide power to one of the others on the same wall.

I need to get a reply before I start just pushing wires into the back of the receptacle, due to the fact that I have no spare wire to play with in case I make a mistake.

Many thanks in advance......

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-11, 10:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
The black wires go on the brass screws (narrow blade side), the white wires go on the silver screws (wide blade size). The bare ground goes to the green screw on the top or bottom of the receptacle.

When you don't have a lot of wire to work with, it's good to get a receptacle with "backwire" capability (not "backstab" or "quickwire"). This style has a slot next to the screw you can push the wire into and then tighten the screw which pinches the wire with a pressure plate.

Old 09-08-11, 10:21 AM
It does sound like one set of the wires supply the power to this outlet and the other set pass the power to another device. The black wires will connect to the brass screws and the white wires will connect to the silver screws.

Old 09-08-11, 10:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
Pigtails can also be a good solution if there's not much wire available in the box.

Old 09-08-11, 10:47 AM
You guy's are great.

THANKS A LOT!!!!!

Old 09-08-11, 10:54 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
And to expand on Mitche's suggestion you can buy wire nuts with pigtails. You would go black to black to pigtail and white to white to pigtail. Pigtails to receptacle.

Old 09-08-11, 01:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
And to expand on Mitche's suggestion you can buy wire nuts with pigtails. You would go black to black to pigtail and white to white to pigtail. Pigtails to receptacle.
I like Rays suggestion, just be careful, the pre-made pigtails seem to take up a lot of real estate in the boxes.

For the really short wires I like the Ideal push-in connectors and add a pigtail.