Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Using a car battery to power a TV - Little bit of help needed.

Old 09-10-11, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

First of all, hello everyone at DIY.com.

So here's my problem, I'm thinking of having a nice little gaming setup in my car, and have sourced myself a TV with a DC Input, sounds like it's going to be an easy fit as I don't need to buy a AC/DC invertor or anything like that, however, I have no idea where to start.

I have very basic wiring knowledge and little soldering skill so can perform simple tasks such as rewiring the power adapter and such, but as said, I do not know where to start.

A few pictures may help this thread as it's a bit vague at the moment.

Does this mean that I can run wires straight from the battery into the jack that plugs in here? With an inline fuse?

Since a car runs at 12-14V, would the TV not run well as it's supposed to be run at 15v? Or is this a max figure? Working out the fuse size turns out to be higher than the "Max" amp figure, will I blow my TV if I used a 5 amp fuse?

Thank you so much to anyone that can help, any additional info on how to wire everything would be very helpful and I'd be very grateful.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-11, 12:30 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Your first picture is too fuzzy for me to see anything. You can use a 5 ampere fuse without problem. Whether or not a 12 volt nominal source is sufficient I don't know but more likely than not it would be.

Old 09-10-11, 02:21 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The diagram shows the plug tip as positive and the shell of the plug as negative. Be certain that you wire the plug to the battery correctly. A 5 amp fuse should be sufficient as it gives a little less than a 20% safety factor.
As to how well it works, give it a try. Most electronic products can handle some voltage variation (in this case it's 10% or less).