Wiring an ourdoor outlet from an existing indoor outlet?

Old 09-11-11, 03:11 PM
Wiring an ourdoor outlet from an existing indoor outlet?

We are installing an ourdoor kitchen and would like to wire an outlet next to the kitchen. There is an outlet on the inside of the house in the area I need it. Can I tap into that outlet and create an outdoor outlet from the indoor outlet? The exterior of the house is brick. The goal is to not run ugly conduit all over the exteriro of the house.

Thanks.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-11, 03:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! If it is going to be a "kitchen", it will fall under kitchen codes, and must have 2 separate 20 amp circuits, both protected via GFCI.
Now, how many receptacles will you have and what will be their load? What is the load on the circuit on the inside of the house? What part of the house is it located in?
You can do it, but all these questions, and possibly more, will need answering. Of course it will need to be GFCI protected. Is it exposed to the elements?

Old 09-11-11, 03:56 PM
I will probably only need 2 outlets.. the indoor outlet is wired with the other outlets on 2 breakers... I think 20AMP each.

So to wire these 2 outlets I have to run wire all the way to the other side of the house for a dedicated breaker?

Old 09-11-11, 04:20 PM
Group Moderator
Can I tap into that outlet and create an outdoor outlet from the indoor outlet?
Only if it isn't a restricted receptacle such as a a (indoor) kitchen counter top receptacle, or a dining room receptacle or a bathroom receptacle.

Chandler he said outdoor kitchen. Not sure if the code treats that as a kitchen or just an outdoor location. My vote is not kitchen. Lets see what the Pros say.

Old 09-11-11, 06:02 PM
Yeah, I just wanted to make sure this wasn't bordering on becoming countertop space, stove, sink, oven, etc. A future inspection for sale may make it a "kitchen".
Mikey, Ray hit it dead on, as long as the origin of the circuit is not restricted. You can come off this receptacle, but, being outside, you will have to protect both new receptacles with GFCI, which can be the first receptacle with the second one coming off the "load" side of the GFCI.
Still not answered is if it was exposed to the elements., and what specific circuit it comes off of. From your description is a multiwire branch circuit.

Old 09-12-11, 04:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Interesting to see what an inspector would say about whether this would need to meet the same requirements as an indoor kitchen. Never had this come up at a IAEI meeting.

Old 09-12-11, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Yeah, I just wanted to make sure this wasn't bordering on becoming countertop space, stove, sink, oven, etc. A future inspection for sale may make it a "kitchen".
Mikey, Ray hit it dead on, as long as the origin of the circuit is not restricted. You can come off this receptacle, but, being outside, you will have to protect both new receptacles with GFCI, which can be the first receptacle with the second one coming off the "load" side of the GFCI.
Still not answered is if it was exposed to the elements., and what specific circuit it comes off of. From your description is a multiwire branch circuit.
I understand it would have to be GFCI protected, and it would be exposed to the elements and protected as with any other outdoor outlet.

Old 09-12-11, 08:04 AM
"As with any other outlet", I presume you recognize it will need to be a bubble cover, right?

Old 09-12-11, 05:45 PM
We are installing an ourdoor kitchen and would like to wire an outlet next to the kitchen.
Are you installing cooking facilities too? If not and if you have a set of plans, I'd make sure the plans identify this area as a "Serving Area" and not a kitchen just to be safe. I know someone doing something similar and that was my first suggestion, but my friend's space will be under roof and even have an enclosed "Dry" storage room with a small service panel and several dedicated outlets for crock pots, warmers and even a coffee maker.

Old 09-12-11, 06:09 PM
Group Moderator
Most outdoor kitchens are nothing more then a very fancy BBQ setup. I have not run into an inspector that would enforce this as the same requirements of an indoor kitchen.

That said, you should think about what you all will be running out there. If you plan on a toaster oven, hot plate or crock pots as Joe mentioned, then you might want to run more than one circuit out there. You could tap off an unrestricted circuit, but I suggest running a new one (or more).