Homemade chicken scalder

Old 09-13-11, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Homemade chicken scalder

Hello,
I am putting together a homemade chicken scalder basically using an old pressure tank and the basket out of an old washing machine. The basket will set inside the old water pressure tank I've cut the top out of. In the bottom of the pressure tank, which will hold the water, I have fit two 4500w 220 heating elements. I want to hold the temp at 145 degrees F and be able to monitor it when we are scalding. I've seen a Ranco ETC-111000-000 Prewired Digital Temperature Controller used in other apps, does anyone have any experince with this ETC? Will it work for my application? Can I direct wire it to the elements?
Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by nissifarms; 09-13-11 at 03:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-11, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 13 Posts
That Ranco control you mentioned is 120 volts, they do have a 240 volt one but it is only rated at 8 amps for a resistive load.
If you use this control you would have to do so through a contactor.

How are you going to hook up the elements?
The two elements connected in parallel will be 9 kw or about 40 amps.
Do you need that much wattage?
A hot water tank uses a thermostat that operates in the temperature range you are talking about and has a thermostat that will alternate the elements.
Some can carry the load of two elements in parallel.

One caution is that you will be working close to this thing with water splashing all over the place.
I see this as a project that could most definitely be a danger and a hazard.
Building something like this to operate safely would take a great deal of effort.

Another thing is if the chickens you process are strictly for your own consumption then fine.
But, if you are selling any of your processed poultry to the public then what you are constructing this thing out of would be a concern to health officials.