Adding lights to an existing switch

Old 09-14-11, 12:25 PM
Adding lights to an existing switch

I currently have a patio light with one single pole switch. I would like to add two more patio lights, but because the existing light box is mortared into brick, I need to run the wiring for the new lights from the switch box. Is that possible and if so, how do I wire it?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-11, 01:18 PM
Group Moderator
It is possible if power originates at the switch not the light. If you have two black wires on the switch and a bundle of white wires wire nutted together the power originates at the switch.

Old 09-14-11, 01:30 PM
Why can't you use an extension box and some EMT?

Old 09-14-11, 03:07 PM
Conduit

Why can't you use an extension box and some EMT?
Conduit on brick looks bad.

Old 09-14-11, 06:43 PM
Yes, I have two black wires connected to the switch and several white wires in the box. So how do I wire the new lights?

Old 09-14-11, 07:16 PM
You will need to determine the which of the blacks runs to the current light. This is the switched hot. You will need to remove the switched hot from the switch and connect it along with the the black from the new line running to the new lights along with a short wire (pigtail) (3 black wires) with a wire nut. You will then connect the pigtail to the switch were you removed the black wire. I will then connect the new white wire to the bundle of white wires already in the box. You would also connect the ground to the other grounds in the box. You would connect the other end of the new wire to the first light and then have another length of wire run from the first new light to the second light. At the first light you would connect the black from the light with the two blacks that lead to the second light and back to the switch. You will do the same with the ground and white wires. Then connect the second length of wire to the second light.

Are you going to use a cable or individual wires? Individual wires would have to be run in conduit. Also, what is the size of the current breaker? This will determine the size if wire you will need.

Old 09-15-11, 06:10 PM
Thanks so much for your help. The current breaker is 15 amps. Now I have to figure out if there is insulation in the wall and how I can thread the wire to the box!

Old 09-16-11, 05:06 AM
You can use NM-B 14/2 with the 15 amp breaker.