Generator Location and wireing question.

Old 09-14-11, 05:27 PM
Generator Location and wireing question.

Hi everyone; This is my first post so please bare with me. I live in central Ct, and just purchased a 5500 watt Generator. I also have a detached garage about 60' from my house. About 5 years ago, I ran electricity out to the garage. using a sub panel. While I was laying the underground conduit, I also laid down an extra one, just in case I ever bought a generator. So I was wondering...Can I run 10 AWG wire thru this conduit going from my garage, over to my house for my generator. (Thus making my own 240/30 amp cord)Is that too far? will my generator output degrade? I will need about 80' realistically. My conduit is buried 4' deep. Once I have the wires snaked thru it and into my house, I plan on using a interlock kit on my panel, or have a transfer panel installed. Will this work? or again will my output be too degraded because the length.
Please advise me I'm not going to do anything until I have more info.
Thank you all.
-Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-11, 06:16 PM
What you propose is fine. A 5500W genny only has 20A breakers, although a L14-30R receptacle.

Old 09-15-11, 03:40 AM
Thank you Justin. .
-Bob

Old 09-15-11, 07:11 AM
Group Moderator
Thus making my own 240/30 amp cord
Please explain what you mean by that?

Old 09-15-11, 08:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think the OP meant that the fixed wiring in the conduit would serve the same purpose as the wiring in the wall to an inlet, except the inlet is remote from the more usual location.

Old 09-15-11, 09:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your plan sounds okay Bob. This would be a good case for an interlock kit. You'll need to install an inlet at the garage to connect the generator. Make sure the garage has good enough ventilation to safely run the generator or run the generator outside of the garage.

Using #10 wire will compensate for the distance just fine.

Old 09-15-11, 03:48 PM
To ray2047; I could buy a generator cord 100' long, and it's described as 240/30. However the gage is listed as "Unknown" I assume this cord has the male and female L14-30R on each end. When I said "Thus making my own 240/30 cord" Is to take 4 strands of 10 awg wire and connect one end to the L14 30-R inlet, Snake it all the way thru the conduit and into my house. (Over 70')Once in my house I have the other end of the 4 wires..ready to be connected to the box/panel. I think "pcboss" described my intensions better than me. I would be putting an inlet on the inside of my garage. I would then plug my generator into that. Leaving the garage door partly opened will provide enough ventilation and still protect the Gen from rain/snow..etc while keeping the noise far enough away from my neighbors. Well far enough away from my nicer neighbors! : )

Last edited by bobmoore43; 09-15-11 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Add a couple of things
Old 09-15-11, 06:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your plan to use 4 strands of 10ga THWN in conduit is the correct answer. You don't want to use SO cable and try to pull that through the conduit. It would probably get pretty stuck within the first few feet of the pull.

Be careful running the generator in the garage. They produce a LOT of heat and carbon monoxide/carbon dioxide, and lots of other bad things to breather. Since it's a separate garage, it's less of a concern than an attached garage (you NEVER want to run a gen in an attached garage)... but I'd still put it right in front of the door and leave the doors wide open.

For what it's worth, I'd never run a gen inside the house/garage. Even if it's stored there, I'd roll it outside to run it.

Old 09-16-11, 03:42 AM
Thanks for all the input and advice everyone. I think I have everything I need to get started. (Well except the supplies)

Old 09-16-11, 05:02 AM
You may already know but when you run the wires you will want either 2 black or a black and red, a white and a green.