how to create some form of switch for CCTV cameras?

Old 09-17-11, 10:45 AM
how to create some form of switch for CCTV cameras?

Hi all,

I am in the process of building a show room full of cctv cameras, approx 30 cameras. Everything is going well, however i am thinking it would be advantagous if i could turn each camera on and off at will...

I currently have 2 x 12vDC 20AMP PSUs, sending power to half the cameras each. The cable is 2 core cable, 1 positive, 1 negative. I am not an electrician, and have no idea what i need to create the ability of simply switching each camera on or off.

I was hoping i could simply add some kind of switch in between the camera and PSU, which would turn them off/on...

i popped into my local screwfix, hoping they could advise, but unfortunetly they were just as clueless as me, after looking on their website i came across: Varilight Grid Wiring - Grid Wiring | Screwfix.com which to my untrained eye, appear to do what i need...

i was just wondering if anyone could advise me if my theory above is correct or if i am talking nonsense, and advice would be very welcome.

thanks
James

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-11, 06:30 PM
If I'm understanding right, it sounds like you're looking for an addressable relay system, so you would have a single control interface (serial, Ethernet, switches, whatever) and turn each power output on or off independently.

If that's on the right track, here's something to get the conversation started. EasyDAQ - design & supply of low cost DAQ products

Old 09-17-11, 11:22 PM
You are talking about simply switching power on & off to each camera, correct?

The easiest way to do this is to run a power cable to each camera from the power supplies. Connect all of the negative wires together. Put switches between the power supplies and each camera on the positive wires. Any basic SPST toggle switch will work.