Having Trouble Diagnosing Hot/Ground Reverse Issue

Old 09-18-11, 01:48 PM
Having Trouble Diagnosing Hot/Ground Reverse Issue

Hello, was hoping someone might be able to tell me what I'm doing wrong...

I have a wire in the attic that runs from the circuit breaker to a circuit of outlets and a light on the other side of house. While doing some renovation work in the attic this wire got damaged. Its an old fiber wrapped wire from the 1950's (three conductors red, black, white plus ground). I decided it would be a good idea to replace it as it runs through the attic. I cut it about a foot after it comes into the attic and installed a junction box. I did the same thing on the other side where it runs into the wall. I then bought new 3 conductor wire and connected them. I tested the circuit with a plugin tester and it read "correct" except I noticed that the middle light was not as bright as it should be. When I added a load (plugged in a light or flipped the switch to the outside light) the tester changed to read hot/grn reverse.

I further tested with a 2 prong tester and got the following results on two of the outlets:

hot (black) to neutral (white) = lit up
hot (black) to ground = lit up
ground to neutral (white) = no light

This circuit worked fine before I started messing with it. I double checked my new wire connections to make sure they were right (white to white, black to black, red to red and ground) and solidly connect and they appear to be.

Anyone have any suggestions?? I'm stumped. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-11, 02:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I hope you did not connect the red to the bare. Other than that it sounds like you made the correct connections.

Old 09-18-11, 02:56 PM
No, I double checked, red is connected to red.

Old 09-18-11, 03:00 PM
Did you pull the plug were you got the reverse reading and check to make sure it was wired correctly? The tests you did with the 2 prong tester look to be correct.

Old 09-18-11, 03:29 PM
There are three outlets, a set of kitchen lights and one external light controlled by a switch on this circuit and all the outlets behave the same. If there is no load on the circuit they test "correct", but when you add a load they all test hot/grd reverse. The kitchen lights work fine, but that's because I cut the wire downstream of them.

When you say "wired correctly" I am assuming you mean that the outlets are not wired "reverse polarity". They do not appear to be. These outlets all worked fine before I cut the wire in the attic.