Ground wire for Pushmatic Breaker box

Old 09-19-11, 06:05 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Ground wire for Pushmatic Breaker box

I sold my house and one of the things the sellers want fixed that the inspector found was no ground wire in the breaker box. So I talked to my friend at work who is knowledgable in this area and told me what to look for and how to do it if I need to. So I looked yesterday and there is a black wire, maybe and 8 gauge size solid copper wire that runs from the neutral/bare copper wire terminal to a copper water pipe...then I go to where the water pipe goes into the ground and out to the street and the meter is right there....there is an old wire with like the other one I mentioned above that goes from one side of the meter to the other side of the meter as a jumper.

Is this correct??

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-11, 07:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Yes. This was likely acceptable at the time the panel was installed so it would be grandfathered in. #8 is a little small. #6 would be the proper size for a 100 amp service.

Not sure what "ground" the home inspector is looking for. Now days there is also a supplemental ground rod outside connected with #6 copper wire. This is for high voltage events such as lightning, but again, was likely not required when the panel was installed.

Old 09-19-11, 07:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
Not being bare or green may have thrown the inspector off by not seeing what they expected to find.

Old 09-20-11, 09:31 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Ok, great...I also google'd it and came up with the samething that is down there or what you guys and my friend said. It could be 6 gauge...I am not a pro on wire sizes...but the house was done with 12/2 romex if I recall so yea it is about 3 times the size of the yellow 12/2 romex. Well, thank you very much.
Chris