GFCI that doesn't seem right

Old 09-21-11, 10:24 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GFCI that doesn't seem right

I have a GFCI in the kitchen where my refrigerator is plugged into it. There is another outlet on that same circuit.

Now this is where something isn't right.

When I test the GFCI by pushing the off button it turns off the other outlet but not itself where the frig is plugged into.

Thanks

Old 09-21-11, 10:28 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Pull the receptacle and using a meter or test light determine which cable is hot. Are both the black and white of the hot cable connected to the line side?

Old 09-21-11, 11:33 AM
T
Thanks for the quick reply Ray.

NO. The hot cables are connected to the load side.

Rock

Old 09-21-11, 12:00 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I've never seen this particular problem. I can only guess that contacts are welded in the GFCI mechanism and the receptacle must be replaced.

How did you come upon this problem? Were you just checking the GFCI test buttons or is it part of a different electrical problem you were troubleshooting? What kind of tester did you use to verify the GFCI receptacle still had power after the TEST button tripped?

Old 09-21-11, 12:25 PM
T
I was just checking the GFCI to see if it was working properly. I have the refrigerator plugged into the GFCI and a lamp in the outlet downline. When I tripped the GFCI the lamp went out but the frig kept running and when I opened the door the light came on.

Thanks
Rock

Old 09-21-11, 12:28 PM
If the hot wires are on the load side, then it is wired wrong. The hot wires should be connected to the line side and anything that you want protected downstream of the GFCI should be connected to the load side.

Old 09-21-11, 12:29 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
NO. The hot cables are connected to the load side.
Oh wait, you said the hot wires are on the LOAD side? That's backwards.

The hot and neutral wires with incoming power should be on the LINE side of the GFCI receptacle. The wires going to the downstream receptacle(s) should be on the LOAD side.

Old 09-21-11, 01:39 PM
T
Is it possible the previous owner intentionally wired it backwards so if it was unknowingly tripped the food in the refrigerator wouldn't spoil?

Old 09-21-11, 04:06 PM
If they wanted to do that, they should have placed the GFCI as the next receptacle and just used a none GFCI for the fridge.

Old 09-22-11, 09:58 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Is it possible the previous owner intentionally wired it backwards so if it was unknowingly tripped the food in the refrigerator wouldn't spoil?
There would be better ways to do that. Probably just a mistake. The new generation of GFCI receptacles will not turn on at all if they are wired backwards. It's more like a design flaw in the older style that it will seem to work when wired wrong.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: