GFCI problems

Old 09-21-11, 01:45 PM
GFCI problems

I am troubleshooting a problem with gfci outlets--bathrooms and outside house--and have hit a dead end. The outlets are normal receptacles and I cannot find the gfci that controls the power to these outlets. The gfci circuits in the kitchen works and I'm sure this is a separate circuit. I've checked the circuit breakers in the power panel and none of them are gfci breakers. I looked everywhere for the gfci receptable that feeds these outlets, but I'm stymied. Any one that can provide any clues as to where to go from here? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-11, 02:20 PM
I know the last house I lived in there was a GFCI under the bathroom sinks inside the cabinets covered up with the towels and wash cloths. I also located one down in the basement in a small area that was unfinished.

Old 09-21-11, 02:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Are you sure they are GFCI protected in the first place? Do you have a trip tester that you plug in to the receptacle and press the button to test trip it? If not get one and see if they are protected.

Old 09-21-11, 02:52 PM
In my house (before I re-wired them) the GFCI was in the garage and it fed to the front bath which then fed the back bath which then fed the back deck. I used a hand-held GFCI tester in the bathroom shortly after moving in and then had a heck of a time finding the GFCI that controlled them all. It was in the garage, but hidden under a multiple outlet adapter that completely covered the face of the GFCI receptacle.

(image courtesy of USA Philips.com)