Lights dim and brighten like power lessening then surging

Old 09-21-11, 09:03 PM
Lights dim and brighten like power lessening then surging

Who should I call for this problem, an electrician or the city? A couple of weeks ago the power would surge when the clothes dryer was turned on. Well, I guess it was like the dryer was drawing all the energy away from the rest of the house. Now today the house is like possessed. the power is continually weakening and then surging back to normal. What is happening, and who do I call?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-11, 04:14 AM
Call the power company right away.

Old 09-22-11, 05:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I see you are on line. Have you called them yet??? This can be a serious problem, possibly a lifted neutral that is about to sever itself. Then all heck will break loose on your electronics. Call them. It is a 24 hour number, and it is their responsibility to respond.

Old 09-22-11, 06:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the power company does not find anything outside of your house then it is time to call an electrician to check the connections in your panel.

Old 09-22-11, 10:24 AM
been a crazy day at work. I called them around 6:00 am. haven't had time to call home to see if they have come by yet. hadn't as of 10:30. HOpefully they have been there by now. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 09-22-11, 10:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it hasn't been fixed yet, it would be a very good idea to flip off all your breakers and live like pioneers until it does get fixed. This type of problem can cause significant damage to appliances that your insurance may not cover. It's better to be in the dark a little while than to replace $10k of appliances out of pocket.

Old 09-22-11, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the help. Power guys came and fixed a wire at the pole that the squirrels were chewing through. All is right now, and all I lost out of it was a surger protector power strip. (-: Lucky me.

Old 09-22-11, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for letting us know.