Disposer Electrical Dilemma

Old 09-22-11, 12:25 PM
Disposer Electrical Dilemma

OK, I'm just about ready to go out and purchase a new garbage disposer but I thought I would check a few things out first. Currently, the unit does absolutely nothing when I hit the switch to turn it on. No hum. No nothing. I did the allan wrench thing and the unit is not hung up. Pushed the fuse button, nothing!

So, I figured maybe it's not getting electricity. I plug in a table fan to the under-sink outlet that the disposer plugs into and nothing! Just to be sure, I plugged the fan into a nearby outlet and it works fine.

Now, this is telling me that its the under-sink outlet however; there are no fuses tripped on the main panel and all the other plugs and switches in the kitchen work!

Next, I brought in a heavy-duty extension cord and plugged the disposer into the cord and then plugged the cord into a wall plug that I know is functional. I figure that if the unit is not getting power from the under-counter plug, surely it will then operate from a different wall socket.

I'm stumped. I'm figuring the under-sink plug could be dead and I could replace but, that does not explain why the darn thing won't work when I hook it to an different electrical source. Perhaps I need to replace both the on-off switch on the counter (double switch and, the light works) and, I need to replace the plug underneath.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-11, 01:14 PM
Group Moderator
I'm figuring the under-sink plug could be dead and I could replace but, that does not explain why the darn thing won't work when I hook it to an different electrical source.
It could be that the GD failed with a high amp power draw that caused a loose connection to fail. You need to open both the switch and the receptacle and check for loose connections. Move any back stabbed connections on the switch and receptacle to the screws. Remove any wire nuts and check the inside for a burnt or corroded spring or just replace with new ones.

Old 09-22-11, 01:37 PM
OK, my bad (duh)

My bad. When I plugged the fan in to the under sink outlet, I realized that I failed to turn the wall switch on to complete the circuit. When I did that, the fan worked perfectly.

So, now that we know it's not the plug or the wall switch, it has to be the disposer. Insofar as it it 20 years old, prolly should just go buy a new one, right?

Old 09-22-11, 01:43 PM
Group Moderator
Yep, time for a new one....

Old 09-22-11, 02:03 PM
Thanks

Gotta love the Internet.

Just checked Loews and Home Depot and both sell Insinkerator Badger (5 HP) for $99.

Found a retailer in GA that sells same thing for $59.99 plus $10 ship. When you consider Michigan sales tax (6%) that's a $36 savings or 44%!!!

Old 09-22-11, 02:16 PM
Group Moderator
I love shopping online when I know what I want and can wait a few days - need it right away or need to actually see or hold the item, outta luck

Old 09-22-11, 02:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by BilinMichigan View Post
When you consider Michigan sales tax (6%) that's a $36 savings or 44%!!!
Get it while you can. It was in the papers this week that the state legislature is trying to get an (unconstitutional) slice of online sales.

Old 09-22-11, 05:46 PM
Insinkerator Badger (5 HP) for $99.
I think that's a 1/2 HP, not a 5 HP. Might want to buy a few sets of earplugs while you are at it. I like the Evolution Essential.

Old 09-23-11, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
Get it while you can. It was in the papers this week that the state legislature is trying to get an (unconstitutional) slice of online sales.
Since you brought it up ...
I plead ignorance on Michigan, but states such as Wisconsin require residents to pay "Use tax" even when something is purchased from out of state sellers that do not collect sales tax. If this applies to you, keep track of your purchases, tally up the use tax due, and enter it on the appropriate line of your state tax return.

It's grossly unfair to require in-state businesses to collect sales tax and exempt out-of-staters. Everybody likes to save a few bucks, but in the long run, not paying taxes doesn't work out well. Ask the Greeks.

Sites that advertise "No sales tax" may be technically accurate, but they are misleading.

The sales tax model is broken, and it needs to be fixed, whether that involves constitutional, legislative, judicial, or administrative action.