Switch to outlet conversion

Old 09-23-11, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Switch to outlet conversion

I have a switch with black/white/red/unshielded wires going to it. Is there a way I can wire this up to a new combo with the switch being on top and a single outlet on the bottom? I dont want the switch to control the outlet it is mated with its the outside light switch

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-11, 03:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
Welcome to the forums

So you have a switch and you want to turn it into a switch with an unswitched receptacle as well?

Old 09-23-11, 03:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 28 Posts
It depends. Are the black/red/white wires attached to the existing switch? Or are only two wires attached? Three conductor wire (like you have) can either be used for a 3-way switch (where there are two switches controlling the same light), or it could be a switched load and a continuous power wires with a neutral.

Old 09-23-11, 03:45 PM
all three wires are attached to the current switch and yes i'd like to make it an unswitched outlet.

Old 09-23-11, 04:09 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I have a switch with black/white/red/unshielded wires going to it.... all three wires are attached to the current switch
So in addition to a green ground screw the switch has two brass and one dark colored screw, correct? And is one of two switches at different locations that control the same light, correct? If there are no other wires in the box you do not have a neutral and can not use the existing wires for a receptacle. You could still install a combo but the power for the receptacle will have to come from somewhere else. More importantly it will have to be a combo with a 3-way switch. Cheaper/easier to just install a new box and receptacle and run a cable to it.

Old 09-23-11, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the speedy info!