just a little help pls

Old 09-23-11, 04:52 PM
just a little help pls

Pictures by jscotch2o - Photobucketanyone figure out what amp service this is the highest break is a double 50 at the the top right any help as to what amp it is and what i would need to do to upgrade to todays day an age as most of this is maybe late 50's early 60's wiring and cables and breakers

Last edited by mnj4ever; 09-23-11 at 04:54 PM. Reason: link fix
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-11, 05:42 PM
It looks to me to be a 100 amp single phase overhead service with a split bus panel. To upgrade, I would remove the entire service and install a new 200 amp service complete with meter socket, 2" heavywall conduit mast with weatherhead and new 200 amp copper bus main breaker panel.

Old 09-23-11, 06:36 PM
I don't think it is a split bus panel at all. I think it is not even listed for use as service equipment but ONLY as a sub-panel.

Maybe 100 ampere but I'm guessing even less. Those are mighty small looking conductors. Note also the feed-through connections AND the extra wire under the left bus incoming lug. Plus the field-applied handle ties that look like nails. Definitely a candidate for replacement ASAP.

Old 09-23-11, 08:02 PM
I don't think it is a split bus panel at all. I think it is not even listed for use as service equipment but ONLY as a sub-panel.
It's definitely a split buss. See those red wires from the main lug go down into the gutter to the 50A breaker.

P.S. You should get some listed handle ties in there to replace the scraps of wire.:NO NO NO:

Old 09-23-11, 10:17 PM
No, Justin, I don't have X-ray vision and I can't see where ANY of the wires go. It APPEARS that the wires connected to the main lugs MAY go to the 50 ampere circuit breaker BUT all the wires are beneath the steel and cannot be seen. It is just as possible that the wires from the main lugs go through a piece of conduit to another panel.

Old 09-24-11, 06:02 AM
The only reason I suggested it looked like a split bus is because I saw a panel from 1959 or 1960 about 6 weeks ago that was very similar only my friend's panel was a Square D. The feed thru lugs at the main lugs were almost identical to those the OP has. At first glance, his panel didn't look like a split bus either, but after testing, we found that it was. Also, look at the width of this old panel. My friend's 100 amp Square D panel was only 10 1/4" wide. I had never seen one quite like it. His realtor had suggested he replace the service and I had to agree.

BTW, I have never seen a Walker Loadcenter, but I see from the label it was a division of ITE.

Old 09-24-11, 09:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yeah... could be a split bus? Maybe? Certainly not like any one I've seen before.

That said, with the brittle insulation on the main feeders, corroded and rusted breaker connections, and quite old breakers, I'd certainly throw some money at an electrician to replace it. From the photos, the mast looks in good condition (though it's hard to tell), so the electrician may be able to just pull new conductors up. Pop a new panel in, and you'll be good to go!

Old 09-25-11, 01:04 PM
found out it is a 100 amp split bus an i know replacement is not even the word for it now for my next question can i have an electrician install new wires from the mast to the meter box an then from the meter box to a new 200a panel without having to run new wires on the inside until i remodel the inside or would all of it have to be redone because of replacing the panel???the area is hillsborough county florida if any one is familiar with the area and code as to how it must be done

Old 09-25-11, 01:28 PM
I would say no. The meter socket undoubtedly is the original and it would just be a 100 amp socket. Based on the age, it probably has lugs rusted in place. You need to replace everything. A good contractor would be able to look at it and tell you for sure. Your existing circuits could be connected to the new panel once it is installed.

Old 09-25-11, 02:03 PM
Ok little confused here sorry I'm no expert on this at all so bare with me.

By saying no your referring to running new wires from the mast to the meter box an then to a new panel?

By meter socket your referring to where the meter plugs into correct?

I know I need new everything I forgot to state the meter box would be new as well.

An what about having to install new wires throughout the house if I add a new box would that be a requirement or could I skimp by using the old wires already in the house until I remodel?

Old 09-25-11, 02:12 PM
I hope that you are asking us to bear with you and not get naked (bare) with you.

The easiest way to install a new service, if you have the room, is to install a new mast with weatherhead, new meter box, new conduit through the house to a new panel along with a new grounding system. You can then run a temporary feeder to the old panel from an appropriately sized circuit breaker in the new panel. To be in absolute compliance you would need to remove the neutral-equipment ground (and enclosure) bond in the old panel and separate all the equipment grounds to a new equipment grounding bus that is solidly bonded to the old panel with a separate equipment grounding conductor to the new panel. You can then move the individual circuits to the new panel as time and money allows.

You do NOT need to upgrade all the existing house wiring to install a new service panel.

Old 09-25-11, 02:20 PM
Yes I meant bear lol

Thanks very much that's the biggest question I wanted to know cause if I had to upgrade all the wires in the house in order to put a new panel in I would have just said the hell with it an wait until I could remodel the house and do all of the new at the same time.

Old 09-25-11, 05:12 PM
The service change should take the electrician about a day..
I hope that you are asking us to bear with you and not get naked (bare) with you.
Pervert...JK!
Sorry. I just had to.

Old 09-26-11, 09:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Some cities do require modest upgrades inside the house as part of a service upgrade. For example one of the jurisdictions near me requires that hardwired smoke detectors are installed and GFCI receptacles in the bath, kitchen, garage, etc as part of a service upgrade.

Old 09-26-11, 06:07 PM
Afci's may also be required.