Outlet Covers

Old 09-23-11, 05:36 PM
Outlet Covers

I went to Loews and bought an outlet cover which apparently is about 1/4 inch larger top and bottom than the existing cover which broke in the middle. The existing cover could be as old as 1957. I am wondering why this is since I thought I bought the standard cover. Loews also has what they call "Jumbo" covers which would have been way to big. Anyone run into this?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-11, 05:47 PM
I believe what you got was a jumbo plate. It's not at all unusual to find plates mixed in the big box stores. You may have just picked one from the proper box and gotten one that was mistakenly placed in the wrong box or bin.

Old 09-23-11, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by CasualJoe View Post
I believe what you got was a jumbo plate. It's not at all unusual to find plates mixed in the big box stores. You may have just picked one from the proper box and gotten one that was mistakenly placed in the wrong box or bin.
I don't think so because I compared it to the larger plate. Are there only two sizes? That seemed to be all they had.

Old 09-23-11, 05:55 PM
Actually I think I found the answer right here on this site

Check the Sizing of the Hole

Check the size of the electrical box. There are many different sizes and styles of wall plates that can be added to the electrical box. You need to make sure you have picked the right size otherwise you will not be able to secure the plate to the inset box. Usually homeowners will pick a size that is much too large for the electrical junction box.

Read more: Installing Electrical Wall Plates: The Basics | DoItYourself.com

Installing Electrical Wall Plates: The Basics | DoItYourself.com

Old 09-23-11, 06:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There are typically 3 sizes available in trim plates, standard, midi and maxi. They all mount using the same screws. The difference is how much wall is covered.

Old 09-23-11, 06:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
1957 vintage cover plates were slightly smaller than the "standard" cover plates of today. It goes with the quality of jobs and how they are done. You get sloppier electricians, sheetrock guys, etc. you just hide it and move on. You get really sloppy people, you order "jumbo" plates.

Old 09-23-11, 07:35 PM
My supply house doesn't even carry the standard sized plates.

Old 09-23-11, 07:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The irony is that any gap over 1/8" needs to be patched or repaired which would eliminate the need for the larger plates.

Old 09-24-11, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
The irony is that any gap over 1/8" needs to be patched or repaired which would eliminate the need for the larger plates.
I thought it was to hide the bad plaster job.