Ring terminal stud size with smaller screw used?

Old 09-25-11, 10:49 PM
Ring terminal stud size with smaller screw used?

For a ground connection of a metal box which is pre-tapped for the #10-32 green screw, I need to land 8ga under it, the ring terminals available to me have stud hole sizes of 1/4", would it be in violation of UL to do so? I understand that if its a tight connection most folks wouldn't give it two thoughts, but would it be covered under UL? The box is really a pass through.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-11, 05:57 AM
I don't believe UL "covers" the field process of wiring boxes, even if the box is UL listed. On the other hand, best practice indicates that you should use the correct material for the job, including correct sizing of the components. 8awg rings for #10 screws are available.

Old 09-26-11, 12:03 PM
I hear ya, just in a rush and BORG doesn't have it nor does the local supply house....

Old 09-26-11, 06:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just wrap the #8 under the screw and pigtail the others to the open end of the #8.

Old 09-27-11, 11:17 AM
It's going to be in a j-box that I would not want to have to crawl back to ever... It's technically accessible. I think I will pick up a mechanical lug, another supply house had 8awg with a #10 hole lug that should do the trick. The lug will be the pig tail'ed lead to the middle of a ground run so their will be 3 #8 to be nutted together.