one timer for outside lights controlled by two switches

Old 09-26-11, 11:52 AM
one timer for outside lights controlled by two switches

I have a 4 switch wall plate at front door. One is for the interior entry way light, one for the porch lights, one for the up lights on front of house and one for the spots on the corners of the house roof. I would like to put one timer switch for both the up lights and the outside corner lights. I do want to be able to manually override the timer. I am just going to refer to those two sets of lights as "safety lights". Can you wire both of the safety lights to one electrical wall timer? Or do I have to put a timer on each switch? And since the existing switch plate has 4 switches what is required there?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-11, 12:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the two sets of lights are powered from the same circuit, and the total wattage of all the light bulb combined is less than 600W it should be no problem to put them on a digital timer switch.

You can get a blank plate to cover the unused switch, a blank switch body, or just leave a switch in the slot that does nothing.

add: I also wanted to add that if the lights are LED, fluorescent or compact fluorescent you may have a little difficulty finding a compatible timer. Standard incandescent or halogens will be no problem.

Old 09-26-11, 12:40 PM
As for overriding the timers, most of the electronic wall times have an on/off button that will override the programming. No extra wiring required.