Outdoor surface mount box - Conduit or nipple?

Old 09-26-11, 01:22 PM
Outdoor surface mount box - Conduit or nipple?

I'm planning on installing a floodlight over the garage using a surface mount box.

If I mount it low enough, I can bring my wiring directly into the garage for easy access. If I mount it higher up where I'd really like it, I have to fish an interior wall.

What kind of conduit or nipple (if any) do I need to use to safely bring nm-b thru the box, siding, sheathing, etc?

Here's some pics to help explain. The black tape marks where I plan to mount the box, and the piece on the inside marks approx where the conduit/wire will come in.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-11, 01:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would go through the wall with a PVC conduit nipple out the back hub of the box and pull your NM cable right through that. Pack some duct seal putty in the conduit to prevent air exchange.

If you want to raise the box up higher come through the wall where you tape is marked with PVC conduit, use an LB fitting to change direction up, and go into the threaded hub on the bottom of a box. Paint the conduit to match the siding and you won't notice it after a week.

Old 09-26-11, 02:21 PM
That was quick!

Sounds simple enough. PVC nipple and about a foot of PVC conduit should do the trick. Already have a block of duct seal.

If I had more motivation to mount it higher, there's actually an electrical box inside the finished room above almost exactly where I want to put the flood. I envisioned cutting that box out and using the hole to fish the wall. It all comes down to motivation. Maybe I'll show the ol' lady and see where she likes the light better. GI2

[edit] Well she likes it higher up, without the surface mount box. Is there such an animal as an old-work box suitable for outdoor use. Better yet, that will support the weight of a light fixture? I thinking something like a fan brace/box maybe?

Last edited by scoob8000; 09-26-11 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-26-11, 05:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try the Arlington website. www.aifittings.com

Look for the tab for siding blocks. They can be retrofitted on existing vinyl siding.

Siding Mounting Blocks | Siding Electrical Boxes and Plates

Old 09-26-11, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
Try the Arlington website. www.aifittings.com

Look for the tab for siding blocks. They can be retrofitted on existing vinyl siding.

Siding Mounting Blocks | Siding Electrical Boxes and Plates
Interesting. I guess I'm looking at that right. The flange goes behind the siding and screws to the sheathing?

Old 09-26-11, 06:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, but you can also remove the flange and screw through the back of the box. I would add a bead of caulk behind the box and on the side and top where it meets the siding.

Old 09-27-11, 04:16 AM
That's perfect. I can actually use those for another project I have in mind too!

Thanks

Old 10-10-11, 07:02 AM
So just a quick update. That plate from Arlington Manufacturing worked like a charm!

Old 10-10-11, 07:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the feedback. Looks good.

Old 10-10-11, 11:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Looks great, thanks for the update on the outcome!