Adding a Ceiling Fixture

Old 09-27-11, 06:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Adding a Ceiling Fixture

I want to use the switch for a switched outlet for a new (added) ceiling fixture.
I was going to take the cable running from the switch to the outlet, make it hot, and then run another cable from the switch to the light (my new switch leg).

I was thinking it would be easier to just cut the cable in the attic, add a junction box, then run power to the light from the outlet. This way I wouldn't have to run a new cable to the switch. I could cut the cable to where the switch leg part of it would reach the new light.

Hope you follow me. Is the junction box solution acceptable??

Thanks, Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-11, 06:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Normally the wiring for receptacles is run through the walls about knee high so I doubt that you would be able to access it like you plan to from the attic. Also if you were able to tap into a cable in the attic you would still need to run a cable to the switch in order to control the light.
Another issue is that you would most likely need to install two junction boxes to get the required 6" of free conductor in the junction box. The boxes would also need to remain permanently accessible.