no black wire from box

Old 01-07-01, 01:05 PM
G
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

I am trying to install a cieling mounted light fixture. There was no fixture there before. When I pulled the outlet box cover, I found a green wire, yellow wire and two white wires. No black to connect to my fixture. I know the green is for grounding, but I don't know how to figure out the two white and what to do with the yellow. Can anyone help me. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-01, 02:06 PM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
In North America you should find the Code requires the white and grey wire to be neutral or grounded. and the green or bare to be grounding. ALL OTHER COLORS OF THE RAINBOW IS CONSIDERED TO BE HOT.

If the wiring is to Code then my guess would be yellow as hot. Take a volt meter and touch one prong to the green and one prong to the yellow, you should find power. To confirm you test touch one prong to the white and one prong to the yellow and you should still have power. If all wiring is correct by color code.

Now if you are in Europe then all bets are off . The color coding is different. I believe the neutral to be required as the blue wire in Europe.

Hope this helps

Wg

Old 01-07-01, 02:08 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just a wild guess, but could this be low-voltage wire.