Retired2006: Garden Lights

Old 09-30-11, 08:33 PM
Retired2006: Garden Lights

On a related question. I'm installing 5 garden lights approximately 10 feet apart along a pathway. I was considering using UF (which I already have purchased) except for the last 2 or 3 feet that rises into each box. Since I need to string them together I need 2 UF cables to each box and I'm having difficulty pulling cables through 1/2" PVC
I need help. Can I take off the sheathing from UF when it's in the PVC conduit?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-11, 08:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You cannot remove the sheathing. The 1/2" is too small for two cables.

Old 10-01-11, 06:15 AM
Group Moderator
In addition to not being permitted, have you ever tried removing the outer protective layer from UF wire? I'm usually cursing after I've stripped just a few inches. I can't even think of stripping a long run of wire.

Old 10-01-11, 12:11 PM
Thank you for your quick reply. So if I still want to use UF my choices are either to have separate 1/2" PVC conduits to/from box or find a box that takes 3/4" PVC ? Or I forget about UF and use all PVC and THWN.

Old 10-01-11, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Retired2006 View Post
Thank you for your quick reply. So if I still want to use UF my choices are either to have separate 1/2" PVC conduits to/from box or find a box that takes 3/4" PVC ? Or I forget about UF and use all PVC and THWN.
I'd vote for forgetting about the UF and use THWN.

Old 10-01-11, 03:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Retired2006 View Post
So if I still want to use UF my choices are either to have separate 1/2" PVC conduits to/from box or find a box that takes 3/4" PVC ? Or I forget about UF and use all PVC and THWN.
Yup, any of those three options should be quite reasonable. Not sure if the big box stores have outdoor boxes in stock that either have two 1/2" conduit entry points on one end or 3/4" entry, but any electrical supply house should have them, no problem. Or PVC and THWN. Depends on how many bends and turns your trenches make!

Old 10-02-11, 12:56 PM
Thank you for all your replies and advice. Great help.