Is 2" underground conduit ok?

Old 10-01-11, 03:06 PM
Is 2" underground conduit ok?

I want to connect my detached garage to my house via underground cable to run electric service and have room for a generator feed back to a transfer switch. The underground run is about 10 feet. I will have an electrician set up the switch but want to save some labor costs by running the conduit.

Also is 18 inches the correct depth?

Thanks.
Al

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-11, 04:00 PM
Group Moderator
2" should be plenty big for anything you need to do. How many wires and what size are you thinking? Might be easier to run two smaller conduits, one for each feed, in the same trench.

18", measured to the top of the pipe (20 1/2" deep trench), is correct

Old 10-02-11, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I guess part of my question is what wires I would need for the run.

There is what looks like a 14-2 line running from the house from when the house was built (1950's). The line running to the garage is on a curcuit with 2 outlets in one of the bedrooms. In the garage that same line has an outlet, a flouresent light, a garage door opener, and a motion center spotlight.

What I want to end up with is three more outlets in the garage for power tools and a line that runs back to a transfer switch that will connect to a generator for emergency power.

Thanks.
Al

Old 10-02-11, 06:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd suggest running 12/3 (or 3 individual 12ga THWN conductors) to the garage. Connect it to a two-pole 20A breaker and you have two 20A circuits at your garage. Probably overkill for what you need, but you won't have to worry about upgrading any time soon... at least until you decide to buy a big welder or other large tool.

The wires for the generator would be separate, sized based on the generator size of course.

2" conduit is way overkill. I'd actually probably run a 1.25" conduit (would handle all your current and future needs) as well as a separate 3/4" conduit for when you decide you need a telephone, intercom or network connection out there. But then again, trenching 10' isn't a big deal.

Old 10-05-11, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the advice! I think I have a plan now and will definitely run the second conduit while I have the ground open.
Al