dc equipment to ac power

Old 10-01-11, 06:29 PM
dc equipment to ac power

Hi, I would like to know if it is possible to convert a dc powered elliptical into an ac powered one? If so, how and/or where can I get the equipment to do so? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-11, 06:34 PM
Group Moderator
Do you mean replace the DC motor that powers it with an AC motor? Why do you want to do this.

Old 10-01-11, 06:37 PM
No, I would like to plug an ac power adapter in so I don't need to change batteries constantly to run the panel.

Old 10-01-11, 06:47 PM
Group Moderator
That shouldn't be hard. First you need to determine the voltage. How many and what type of batteries or dry cells. If there are more then one are they wired series, parallel, or series parallel? Or is there a wiring diagram on line you can point us to. Or can you tell us the make and model.

Old 10-02-11, 12:19 PM
Ok, so the panel requires 4 D sized batteries placed under it in series(2 sets of 2 in series).

It is set up like a tv remote but with 2 D's on one side and 2 other D's beside it. Sorry, I am so hoping I am right and have described it properly.

A link to the manual for the elliptical is http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source...Bj0_HcGAdAy1YA

On page 7 shows a picture. That's the best I can get.

Old 10-02-11, 02:25 PM
Group Moderator
It is set up like a tv remote but with 2 D's on one side and 2 other D's beside it.
Most likely it is six volts. You will need a 6 volt DC power supply. Probably a 500 ma will be large enough. However that is a guess. A "wall wart" should be good for this.

To be sure it isn't 3 volts I would test it first with two D cells wired to produce 3 volts and use them with the adapter I am going to describe below or the plan B in the last paragraph. If it doesn't work you can be reasonably sure it is 6 volts.

The adapter can be made from two pieces of 1" diameter wood dowel cut the length of a D cell. You would place a #8 X 1/2" pan head screw in one end of each dowel. The negative wire from the power supply goes under one screw in one dowel and the positive under the screw of the other dowel. Depending on how the dowels fit in you may also need to use two dummy dowels with no screws to replace the other two batteries.

Only two of the tabs in the battery holders should have wires going to the circuit board fastened to them. You may have to open the control to see which two tabs. The screws in the two wired dummy batteries go against those. The one with the spring will probably be negative. but check the battery positioning marks to be sure.

If an actual spring and not a spring strip is used in the holder for the negative end of the battery you may have to place a fender washer under the screw of the negative dummy battery.

Or skip the dummy batteries and solder the two wires of the power supply to the two power out tabs in the battery holder.

Old 10-02-11, 04:47 PM
Ok! Thanks. I will give this a try in the next few days once I get the 6 volt DC power supply. I hope I can wire it up properly!! lol! Should be ok.

Thanks again!