Dishwasher/Disposal wiring

Old 10-03-11, 12:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher/Disposal wiring

I want to install a dishwasher in an older kitchen that has never had one. Currently I have a direct wired disposal under the sink that I was going use the power from to run to the dishwasher. There's just a black cable coming out of the wall, It is running from a switch above the counter top on the wall behind the sink. How do I wire this so that I can install a new outlet for the dishwasher and the switch will kill the disposal but not the dishwasher? Am I just better off leaving the disposal alone and run a new cable for the dishwasher up from a different power source? I know The Dishwasher is SUPPOSED to be on it's own circuit but I may not be able to do that.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-11, 12:29 PM
diswasher/disposal wiring

You would have to wire in your diswaher behind the switch. in other words pull the switch out locate the supply wire to the switch, then join in the line to the dishwasher then reinstall the switch to the disposal. you may need to have a bigger box for the wires to fit. If in doubt call an electrician

Old 10-03-11, 12:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
It is best to install a new circuit for the dishwasher. Most dishwashers do not require a dedicated circuit, but it is recommended. Some circuits that a dishwasher cannot be on are any circuits that serve a kitchen receptacle or laundry receptacle.

To use your existing disposal circuit, you would need to fish a cable from the switch. The disposal receptacle box does not have sufficient wiring to power the dishwasher without being controlled by the switch.

Old 10-03-11, 04:21 PM
You may not be able to extend the circut anyway because the old black romex usually doesn't contain a ground and if it does its too small to use.

Old 10-03-11, 05:53 PM
Received 20 Votes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
You may not be able to extend the circut anyway because the old black romex usually doesn't contain a ground and if it does its too small to use.
I remember seeing a lot of old black romex that had a full sized ground wire. IIRC, 30 years ago Southwire romex was black and it was the stiffest, hardest to work with wire I had ever seen, but it had a full sized ground wire. I'm not sure how many years ago you are referring to, but I also remember seeing old romex that had a reduced size ground. I am not sure when that stuff would have been manufactured or installed, but I would assume maybe in the late 1960s or very early 1970s, but at that time romex could be bought with or without a ground.

Old 10-04-11, 04:53 AM
Well, It turns out I have an available space in my service panel. It's an old fuse panel, but there's an unused one. I guess I'll just run it off of there. Thanks.