Fuse box wiring

Old 10-04-11, 05:37 AM
Fuse box wiring

Is this correct? The hot goes to the post on the fuse receptacle, the neutral and ground together go on the other part?

[IMG][/IMG]

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-11, 06:12 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, hot to fuse, white and green to neutral/ground bus. 15 amp fuse #14 wire minimum and 20 amp fuse #12 minimum.

Old 10-04-11, 05:26 PM
Except....the inspector probably won't allow you to land the neutral and ground conductors under the same screw on the neutral bar as your drawing suggests. I believe rule-of-thumb is one neutral per hole, no more than two ground wires per hole and never ground and neutrals in the same hole. Correct me if I am wrong. Years ago it was pretty common to see neutral and ground wires landed together, but times and codes change.

Old 10-04-11, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator
Not being critical...but why a fuse box? Those are pretty much not used anymore AFAIK...

Old 10-04-11, 06:19 PM
As far as I know, fuse boxes of that type are no longer manufactured. Although circuit breakers are closer to being foolproof than fuses ever were, fuses are, and always have been, the ultimate circuit protection.

Old 10-04-11, 06:22 PM
Except....the inspector probably won't allow you to land the neutral and ground conductors under the same screw on the neutral bar as your drawing suggests. I believe rule-of-thumb is one neutral per hole, no more than two ground wires per hole and never ground and neutrals in the same hole. Correct me if I am wrong. Years ago it was pretty common to see neutral and ground wires landed together, but times and codes change.
You're correct Joe.

I can't see the pic.

Old 10-05-11, 12:42 AM
Wanna see a fuse box, Justin?

Old 10-05-11, 05:39 AM
Originally Posted by Furd View Post
Wanna see a fuse box, Justin?

Where's that? It has 60 spaces

Old 10-05-11, 09:53 AM
Georgetown PowerPlant Museum in Seattle. Look closely and you will see it was once a 120 volt only panel but the bus bar at the bottom has been cut to allow feeding it with 240/120. Note also that there are fuses on the "neutral" bus.

Built in 1906 for The Seattle Electric Company the plant has the last operable large scale vertical steam turbine generators in the world.

Old 10-05-11, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by Furd View Post
Georgetown PowerPlant Museum in Seattle. Look closely and you will see it was once a 120 volt only panel but the bus bar at the bottom has been cut to allow feeding it with 240/120. Note also that there are fuses on the "neutral" bus.

Built in 1906 for The Seattle Electric Company the plant has the last operable large scale vertical steam turbine generators in the world.
Great Picture Furd!

I see. I would've left it 120. I'm guessing this is only 30 circuts with the fused neutrals, then.

Why did they stop using vertical turbines? It seems they would be more efficient?

Old 10-05-11, 05:43 PM
I'm probably in trouble for going way off topic...

The vertical turbines spin at 720 RPM synchronous speed. For any kind of efficiency a turbine has to spin at high speeds. Modern direct-coupled turbo-generators spin at 3600 RPM. General Electric only made the vertical turbo-generators for a short time, maybe ten years or so. They were HUGE for their output and the rotors of both the turbine and generator had to ride on a cushion of oil. That cushion took a lot of pressure to raise the rotors, upwards of 600 psi on the 3,000 kWh unit in this picture.

The grey painted area is the steam turbine with the generator above and the governor mechanism at top. If I remember correctly the governor is about 35 feet above the floor level. Melanie is about 5'2'' so that gives you some perspective of the size of this machine, and remember that it is only 3,000 kilowatts!

Old 10-05-11, 06:32 PM
I'm probably in trouble for going way off topic...
I was thinking that too and awaiting to come home and have a PM from the mods!

The vertical turbines spin at 720 RPM synchronous speed. For any kind of efficiency a turbine has to spin at high speeds. Modern direct-coupled turbo-generators spin at 3600 RPM. General Electric only made the vertical turbo-generators for a short time, maybe ten years or so. They were HUGE for their output and the rotors of both the turbine and generator had to ride on a cushion of oil. That cushion took a lot of pressure to raise the rotors, upwards of 600 psi on the 3,000 kWh unit in this picture

The grey painted area is the steam turbine with the generator above and the governor mechanism at top. If I remember correctly the governor is about 35 feet above the floor level. Melanie is about 5'2'' so that gives you some perspective of the size of this machine, and remember that it is only 3,000 kilowatts!
Wow! That's Huge! Just so we can turn a light on! This is really interesting!