24 volt fan motor

Old 10-04-11, 08:29 PM
24 volt fan motor

Hey, I have 4 24 volt motors that i would like to be able to plug into a controller and ultimately run from a standard 120 volt outlet. I want each fan to run off of its own individual controller, but hopefully they could all utilize the same power source. Any ideas as to where I should start?

I have minimal experience with electronics, so any suggestions are more than welcome.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-11, 04:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! What will be the ultimate outcome? What are you building? We would need to know this before we could give rock solid advice. The incoming power will need transforming from 120 v AC to 24v dc most likely. You probably couldn't run them in series on the same transformer, so 4 transformers would be needed. It gets deeper, so tell us what you are doing and we can help.

Old 10-07-11, 08:25 AM
I am hoping to use the fans to create an interactive inflatable artwork. The fans will hopefully be wired to some kind of controller with four switches that would turn the fans on and off.

The motors run on 26.5 VDC at 2.2 amps (according to the back of the motor), and I am looking for the least expensive way to do this possible.

Old 10-07-11, 09:13 AM
Also, do I need to match the Amps on the motor to the amps on the transformer? Can I run a motor on a lower amp transformer than 2.2 Amps?

Old 10-07-11, 09:32 AM
Group Moderator
Do a search on the web for "power supplies" "24 volts DC" and you will get many hits. Amps can be more but not less then your motor load. Best though to keep it within 30% or so (guesstament). Some power supplies need a load to keep the voltage in range. You could use a single 24 volt 10 amp power supply and just put a switch on the lead to each motor.

Last edited by ray2047; 10-07-11 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-07-11, 09:46 AM
One step at a time . Transformers only work with AC and your fans are DC, so one option would be to create one 26 volt DC power supply and use it to power all 4 fans, each through its own control. You mention 4 switches and also a controller. 4 switches is easy, deciding on a control box and what controls it is more difficult. A simple approach would be 4 relays under the control of a smart box.

If you are making a one of a kind piece of art work, fabricating a simple circuit from some components is rather easy as long as you package it properly so no one gets toasted and it doesn't catch fire. But, coming up with a design to mfg and sell is a completely different story.

The good news is, 4 fans as listed will draw only a couple of amps total at 120 volts, plus a bit for the power supply, but well within something you can plug into one outlet.

Bud
I just type too slow, use what you can.

Old 10-07-11, 01:41 PM
Yeah, the electronics really don't need to be pretty. They just have to be safe.

So a few issues I've been running into. Most of the inexpensive power supplies run anywhere from 1 to 5 amps. I'm kind of confused because Bud said the system should only draw a couple of amps, whereas ray recommended getting a 10 amp power supply. Most of the 10 amp power supplies I've encountered seem to be a bit heavy duty/expensive for what I had planned for. Do I really need a 10 amp power supply to run these fans?

Here is one power supply that seems to match all of the specifications, is this what you guys have in mind?

Amazon.com: Sure 24 VDC 14.6A 350W Regulated Switching Power Supply: Electronics

Old 10-07-11, 02:35 PM
Power is the common term. 2 amps times 120 volts equals 240 watts
10 amps times 24 volts equals 240 watts. so they are using the same power, just where you measure the current, at the output of the power supply or at the power source, the ac plug.

Semantics aside, the supply you listed will probably work, but I'm not sure what they mean by switching, but I bet Ray knows. Probably just the ability to turn it on/off electronically.

After you get the power supply, how are you going to control each fan?

Bud

Old 10-07-11, 03:16 PM
I'm not completely sure about that yet. I need a way to split the electricity coming from the power supply into 8 wires, 2 for each fan (not sure about a safe way to do this). I will then solder these wires to the switches of an old crane controller that I took apart, and then continue each individual circuit onto the fans them selves. Something like this: