Help! Bathroom outlets and outside outlet not working!

Old 10-05-11, 01:03 AM
Help! Bathroom outlets and outside outlet not working!

I have a 1989 house and all the outlets were working a few days ago no problem. After my house got power washed for painting, the outside outlet stopped working and all the rest of the outlets in the bathroom stopped working as well. I reset all the breakers I could find in the circuit box, nothing worked. I don't have any of the newer GFCI outlets where you can reset them at the outlet, just the older type outlets. I tried pulling out the outlets and checking if the wiring had power, but they didn't show any power at the wires. Any suggestions??

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-11, 01:19 AM
You have a GFCI receptacle somewhere that you haven't yet discovered. I had the exact same wiring scheme in my house built in 1987 and the GFCI was located in the garage. What made it difficult to find was that a previous owner had put a multiple outlet adapter over the GFCI so that it was not obvious that it WAS a GFCI.

(image courtesyof usa.phillips.com)

In your case the GFCI receptacle could be almost anywhere and hidden behind a pile of boxes or whatever.

Old 10-05-11, 06:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree that there is a hidden GFI somewhere.

Old 10-05-11, 06:37 AM
Gfci

The GFCI will be upstream of all the affected receptacles. Post back and tell us what you find.

Old 10-05-11, 08:25 AM
Look for the GFI in your service panel. All of my outdoor outlets are fed from a GFI breaker.

If you find that you have one GFI breaker feeding outside outlets AND your bathroom that is not to code. You may also want to look at how your outside outlets are protected from the weather.

MOD addition: While the shared circuit would not meet current or more recent codes, this was a common practice in the 80's.

Last edited by pcboss; 10-05-11 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-05-11, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator
House was built in '89 and it was perfectly acceptable to do it that way then. My place in VA was built in '90 with the outside outlets, 2 full baths and one 1/2 bath all protected by a single GFCI in the garage.

Agree with the others that it's probably in the garage somewhere. Possibly a laundry room. I'd start at whatever is closest to the electrical panel.

Old 10-06-11, 01:13 AM
Thanks, I will start looking in the garage for the GFCI... will let you know. Wish my garage was cleaner..

Old 10-06-11, 09:55 PM
Thanks!

Everyone was totally right! Finally found the GFCI behind a cabinet in the garage, but was close to the circuit box. Reset it and everything works - So glad, saved a bunch!
This forum is awesome - thanks guys!

Old 10-07-11, 06:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the feedback.