Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Can anyone tell me what is this outlet coming out of my breaker box?

Can anyone tell me what is this outlet coming out of my breaker box?

Old 10-07-11, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator
I am curious to know about the 12500watt limit on the inlet boxes. How do you use an inlet with a 15kW gen? Or is that a constant watt rating? And seeing the surge does not matter?

To the OP I thought your label in the pic was showing a 60 amp LRA rating? That would be 14400kW surge?

Your talking say $3000 with gen tax and all.

If I were you I would find one like this nearby where you live and save a ton of money.
This link is just an example. You have Natural gas???

Generac 15 Kilowatt kw Whole House Natural Gas Generator | eBay

Gee the guy dont want the thing and is giving it away at $1500 only 2 yrs old.

Mike NJ

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-11, 01:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by lawrosa View Post
I am curious to know about the 12500watt limit on the inlet boxes. How do you use an inlet with a 15kW gen?
You would not count the surge when sizing the wiring and inlet, only the constant watt rating.

Large generators are usually hardwired or connected to an accessible lug panel when needed. I don't remember the name of the panel type, but instead of an actual inlet it has four lug terminals where you stick the wires in and tighten down. Temporary hardwired.

There are inlets for hookups larger than 50A, but the connectors start to get very expensive. The connectors are called pin-and-sleeve and they can handle well into the hundreds of amps; but this is really the realm of portable industrial machinery or portable stage lighting system, etc.

Old 10-07-11, 02:17 PM
I like the idea of purchasing slightly used whole house generator. Unfortunately finding one in good condition close to home could be difficult. Also I'm curious what is the cost to run a natural gas generator that big for 24 hours? Also I would have the plumbing cost of getting my natural gas hooked in.

However you are correct about the LRA rating the small unit is actually 65 since it's older. Even with a hard start I'm not sure an 8k will do it. The one in FL is just too far to drive. I wish it was closer to Bham AL.

Old 10-07-11, 03:10 PM
Group Moderator
Or use a generator with a propane/natural gas carburetor. No gasoline turning to sludge.

Old 12-16-11, 01:30 PM
Update

Just to update I got my Generac xp8000e 8000 running watts 12000 surge hooked into the breaker box using and interlock kit and a reliance power inlet box. I was able to run both AC units(independently) with no problem. I think the hard start kits made the difference but it was able to start both units with little strain on the generator. It made the purchase completely worth it to know I can run my central ac in a tight. I'm not saying this setup will work for everyone but just wanted to let everyone else know as a reference that this unit can run a central ac unit if the unit isn't too big.