Trying to clean up the wiring of my chime

Old 10-06-11, 07:19 PM
Trying to clean up the wiring of my chime

This is how my chime is wired. The transformer is dangling - hanging not fixed to anything, the low voltage and line voltage wires are mixed in the same metal box.

I need to clean this up.

I understand there is a way to mount the transformer onto a metal box. But I looked and looked and could not see how to do this. The is a screw positioned at an angle but I am not sure it's purpose.

Where would the transformer be mounted on the box?

Ideally, I would like the low voltage wires to still be housed inside conduits as long as they are in walls, and once they get into the attic, I can let them run free without conduits. I am unable to picture how I would run a conduit down from the attic, and connect that to the transformer which is connected to line voltage wires. Does it mean the transformer should be inside the box?

The chime is also connected to an intercom system which I am going to remove.

The other decision I am struggling with is whether I should throw this chime out and replace with a new one.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-11, 08:23 PM
To mount the transformer in a standard electrical box you need to thread the primary (higher voltage) wires through a knockout hole along with the funny "foot" and screw. You may need to back off the screw to get it inside the box, then tighten the screw to hold the transformer. Easier to do than to explain.

Really no need to use conduit on the secondary (low voltage) side.

Old 10-06-11, 10:09 PM
If I understand you correctly, then the transformer is on the outside of the junction box with a "foot" inside using that screw?

I guess I can see it but it does not seem to make sense to me. So if I need to change out the chime there is no way to swap out the transformer without opening a hole in the wall? The transformer is not accessible from the junction box?

Is there a way to mount it such that it is accessible within a box?

For example can I use a dual purpose box with a partition piece in the middle and mount the transformer on one side and the line voltage on the other, or use two "gangable" metal boxes side by side?

Old 10-06-11, 11:28 PM
If I understand you correctly, then the transformer is on the outside of the junction box with a "foot" inside using that screw?
That is correct.

So if I need to change out the chime there is no way to swap out the transformer without opening a hole in the wall? The transformer is not accessible from the junction box?
Also correct. The transformer is usually mounted in an area that is unfinished so that access is maintained. You could put an access panel/door in the wall. There are other transformers that have a four-inch square cover to fit on a standard J&P box but the low-voltage terminals are still outside the box (and wall) so that may not be an improvement for you.

You could mount it inside a box, if you used a large enough box to also contain a standard line-voltage box that you had the transformer mounted, to and the line-voltage connections inside the smaller box.

Old 10-08-11, 07:13 AM
I ended up making a contraption.

The wall is a standard "wing wall" that's interior with 2x4 studs. So I decided to make a junction box that is accessible from both ends, one side is for line voltage one side low voltage.

I took two standard depth extension rings and butt them up against each other, then in the middle, I inserted a flat blank cover with a 1/2" knock out hole. That gives me a deep junction box that faces both sides with a hole in the middle to mount the transformer and low v wires on one end, and the line v wires on the other end. The chime itself will cover the low v side of the junction box cover.

I guess I could have used a standard box, with an extension ring mounted to it's back too, but I would have to drill two holes in the box's corners for the screws, with two extension rings and a face plate, I just used two screws and nuts.