Quick breaker box question

Old 10-07-11, 04:10 PM
Quick breaker box question

I recently ran wire for a subpanel but am just now getting to actually hooking it up in the main panel. I just realized that there is not a large enough screw to attach the neutral wire. Just wondering if someone could send me a link to what I would need to buy to make it fit, I'm assuming I would need some sort of lug. It is #6 wire, by the way. Thank you.

Ryan

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-11, 04:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most neutral bars should be able to fit a #4. If not there are lug adapters available. What brand panel do you have?

Old 10-07-11, 05:28 PM
It's an old Pushmatic breaker box, there are a couple spots that I believe could house a #6 but they are all full. Here's a picture of what I'm working with. Thanks.

Old 10-07-11, 07:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would try to move the three whites from the terminal that appears to be yellow to other screws if open. If not i would drill a hole and add a lug and move some of the bare grounds to free up a terminal. Those screws may be able to accept one wire under each side of the screw head, but check the label to be sure. They would need to be the same gauge.

Old 10-07-11, 09:42 PM
Group Moderator
To expand on PCboss's suggestion, I would install a full ground bar. Move all the grounds to that.

Old 10-08-11, 05:15 AM
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
To expand on PCboss's suggestion, I would install a full ground bar. Move all the grounds to that.
I was thinking the same thing, but I don't see that many ground wires. Now that we have seen a close up of the neutral bar, I'd like to see a picture of the whole panel. I do see double and triple lugged wires and would like to see that problem resolved as well.