Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Inverter Advice: Get One High Output or Two Lower Outputs?

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-11, 06:24 PM

Lets say the ONLY way for me to produce electricity is pedaling a bike with a generator/alternator hooked up to it with a belt.

To create the most flexibility to use AC electricity, I'm temped to buy a high Watt inverter, like 1000 Watts. But do I buy 2 smaller units instead, like two 500 Watt units? I ask the following:

1.) What if I can't pedal fast enough to have the high Watt inverter even turn on? Is that how it works? Or will it turn on even if I'm pedaling out only 300 Watts AC?

2.) If I get two smaller (500 Watt) units to prevent #1 from happening, is there a way to combine the two 500 Watt units to make 1000 Watts?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-11, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by tony17112acst View Post
Lets say the ONLY way for me to produce electricity is pedaling a bike with a generator/alternator hooked up to it with a belt.

To create the most flexibility to use AC electricity, I'm temped to buy a high Watt inverter, like 1000 Watts. But do I buy 2 smaller units instead, like two 500 Watt units? I ask the following:

1.) What if I can't pedal fast enough to have the high Watt inverter even turn on? Is that how it works? Or will it turn on even if I'm pedaling out only 300 Watts AC?

2.) If I get two smaller (500 Watt) units to prevent #1 from happening, is there a way to combine the two 500 Watt units to make 1000 Watts?

Thanks in advance!
Buy the high wattage one. It'll only take in what is being used.

Old 10-07-11, 06:57 PM
Now, I do know it will take what's being used, but I don't think that's my question.

What I'd want to know is: if I'm pedaling a generator putting out DC amps, does an inverter turn on when I am pedaling fast enough to meet its minimum amps needed? So what I'm wanting to know is will the 1000W inverter going to need more DC amps to turn on versus the 500W unit, or will both turn on at the very 1st 12V DC Watt putting out 1/2 Watt (or whatever) of AC ...and up the scale?

In other words, if my generator is only putting out enough 12V DC amps to theoretically create only 10 Watts AC, will the inverter turn on and produce that 10 Watts? Or will it NOT turn on until it can produce those 1000 Watts it's rated for?

Old 10-07-11, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by tony17112acst View Post
Now, I do know it will take what's being used, but I don't think that's my question.

What I'd want to know is: if I'm pedaling a generator putting out DC amps, does an inverter turn on when I am pedaling fast enough to meet its minimum amps needed? So what I'm wanting to know is will the 1000W inverter going to need more DC amps to turn on versus the 500W unit, or will both turn on at the very 1st 12V DC Watt putting out 1/2 Watt (or whatever) of AC ...and up the scale?

In other words, if my generator is only putting out enough 12V DC amps to theoretically create only 10 Watts AC, will the inverter turn on and produce that 10 Watts? Or will it NOT turn on until it can produce those 1000 Watts it's rated for?
It will turn on as soon as it senses it's 12 volts. You will need to provide enough current to charge the capacitors. A 1500VA unit can run on a 500MA power supply with no load.

Old 10-08-11, 04:58 AM
Consider using the generator to charge a battery, and use the battery to power the (1,000 watt) inverter.

Old 10-08-11, 11:16 AM
Yes, I may do that, but I am not sure if I can rely on having a battery.

You will laugh, but I am just making sure that I am fully prepared for an EMP. Yes, an Electromagnetic Pulse. An EMP is the biggest threat to the USA at this moment. I don't want to go into how easy/hard it is to set one off in the USA, but one or two weekends of fiddling with this stuff should get me prepared enough to have electricity to recharge AA and AAA batteries to have shortwave radio contact with the rest of the world.

Now, a large marine, or RV battery would be good to have for my pedaling scenario, but I am unclear as to whether it would survive an EMP or not. So I don't want to COUNT on it.

Thanks for all of the input. I'm thinking it's best to get a AA/AAA battery charger that uses 12 volts. That way I can skip using an inverter and then a converter (wallwart) to go back to DC. I also thought of using a 15/30 minute charger despite killing AA/AAA faster, because pedaling for 7-8 hours to do a lower charge doesn't seem feasible ...unless I had a windmill/solar charger or something.

Old 10-10-11, 02:27 PM
Group Moderator
Portions of this thread have been moved to Chat at http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ge...rotection.html. The original question has been answered, I hope. The post will be closed. PM me or another Mod if you see a reason to reopen it,

Closed Thread