homemade 12v evaporative cooler

Old 10-08-11, 12:37 PM
homemade 12v evaporative cooler

I'm trying to construct a 12v water cooler for my tent trailer. For the fan unit, I puchased a used telephone co. manhole ventilator fan @ a swap meet. I looked up the unit on the net (it's a 'Pelsue 1400 D' axial blower). I read the owners manual (also online) and can not determine if the unit can be utilized in the manner in which I'm trying to attain. My main concern is being able to use it in a small space (2' X 2') container and not be concerned about the moisture present affecting the internal parts (bearings, elec.connections, etc.).

Any info/referral will help.....thanx

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-11, 03:35 PM
Group Moderator
Against forum rules to bump a post but I see you got no answer. Welcome to the forums.

My guess would be they are designed to work outside in the rain if needed. Since we are talking low voltage I'd go ahead and try it. Just be sure to put a fuse in the line.

Old 10-12-11, 10:47 AM
Thanx for replying. I think you're right about them being used outside (in the rain, etc.) The movement of air (CFM) is very good w/this unit, but now I'm concerned about the amount of drain from my 12v marine battery that I'm using to power it. I wager to get 4 or so hours of use before having to recharge the battery (this almost might be enough on a hot day, but marginally so...)

I already use the battery to power my elec.trolling motor while boating (8' inflatable).
After a days use, if the campground has electricity, I just recharge the unit overnight. If I use the battery for my H2o cooler, I'd probably do the same thing. I'm just not sure how many times this type of battey can be recharged (?)

I'm in no way an electrician, but if someone has any suggestions on how to maybe recharge the marine battery utilizing my truck's (Tacoma) electrical system (alternator/generator), I'd be abliged.

I've been researching other 12v fans that use less amps...this may be my next avenue.

Old 10-12-11, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah...that blower pulls 15 amps...that would be a pretty heavy load. And remember..those blowers are designed for pretty much unrestricted airflow....putting any wet pads in the intake will really restrict flow.

Don't know whether you are new to evap coolers or not....but they really need low humidity to function well. Low as in at least the teens...lower is better.

Old 10-13-11, 11:05 AM
Yeah, I maybe looking for a fan that draws less amperage...I'm aware also of the humidity factor. The tent trailer mfg. (Lees-ure Lite) offers a bracket to hold an A/C unit to the window (which I may get); it's just that it requires you to be @ a campsite that offers elec.hookups. My goal is to eventually camp @ BLM remote sites and be able to have some type of cooling apparatus that is powered by a 12v system.

Anyways though, thanx for your input. The manhole fan didn't cost that much, so I'm not out very much money (I'm sure I'll find a use for it). Sometimes you have to spend a little when designing a prototype.

Old 10-13-11, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
My neighbor camps on BLM land for weeks at a time several times a year...though he has a pull behind RV (can't bring myself to call it a trailer..lol).

He has a couple of small Honda generators that he bridges together to power him when he's out for an extended period. Super quiet and with the interconnection they will power whatever he needs (with good power management of course). He can also use them to charge his batteries and such when not powering the RV. He had one gennie already but bought the last one (and the interconnect kit) online for pretty cheap...think he said less than $500.

Old 10-17-11, 12:22 PM
tanx...any additional info helps..."Knowledge is Power" !