Junction box behind fridge

Old 10-08-11, 01:15 PM
Junction box behind fridge

Can't really find a definitive answer for this one by searching so I figure I'll throw up a call for help.

Kitchen remodel. Doing the lighting circuit now. The main light fixture in the kitchen has a nasty fill problem. It can't be more than 18cuft and it has 10, 14AWG wires + ground and that is not counting the pigtails from the fixture that was on there.

It is the first stop from the panel and it feeds the chandalier in the dining room, the foyer (lights and outlets), outside porch light, and all the outlets in the family room. All in all, 10 fixtures, but low usage, so it has never been a breaker blow problem.

Well need to move that one a bit and feed a bunch of LED can lights (120W total).

The only way I can figure to do it is to add a junction box behind the fridge with a dummy panel on it (this in addition to another J box for the dedicated fridge circuit).

All the old wires would reach and I would just have to run one leg from the first fixture to that junction box. I am worried, though, that this would be considered "inaccessable" by NEC and would be tagged in an inspection.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks,
Anthony

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-11, 01:59 PM
IMO it would be accessible. You donít have to remove any of the buildings finish to access it. A refrigerator usually is easily moved.

Old 10-08-11, 02:08 PM
Group Moderator
It would be, as SD515 wrote, considered accessible. Have you thought of doing a modern wiring scheme so the receptacles don't "spider" out from the light fixture junction box but are daisy chained from each other? If this is a major remodel you are going to need to run two dedicated circuits for the kitchen counter receptacles anyway to pass inspection and the lighting circuit can not by code be on the receptacle circuits.

Last edited by ray2047; 10-08-11 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-08-11, 02:20 PM

Good points Ray.

Old 10-08-11, 02:22 PM
Major remodel for the kitchen, but the wiring was pretty good up until this point. I have two GFCI lines already feeding the receptacles in the kitchen. This spider approach was a surprise. Sadly, there is no easy way for me to tie into the downstream outlets without a lot of wall damage, so I'm stuck with what they have up there, or what I can move from that ceiling junction somewhere lower.

Technically the fridge is called a built-in model, but it is not screwed to the cabinets, it is lifted off the wheels with some jack screws to wedge it into place. An extra step to wheel it around, but again, not screwed in to structure.

Thanks guys.

Old 10-08-11, 02:53 PM
No different than moving a king size bed or a large freezer. No one said convenient, just accessible. Though I've worked on j-boxes that would be a stretch to be considered either.

Old 10-09-11, 02:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
For what it's worth, I agree that the box behind the fridge is considered accessible. Otherwise, how would a receptacle be allowed back there?

Definitely use a larger-than-needed box (double/triple gang) so you don't have to worry about squeezing. Also, write some notes on the inside of the blank plate so you (or the next homeowner) can know what goes where just in case.