Emergency Generator, Transfer Switch & Well Pump

Old 10-26-11, 09:31 PM
So it looks like I have a short somewhere in the D circuit. I contacted Reliance and they sent instructions to perform continuity tests, and the D circuit failed... there was no continuity between the black D wire and the main red wire inside the transfer switch box (the red supplies 120v to the D, E & F circuits). They are sending me a new toggle switch in case that is the problem, and I will open up the transfer switch to see if I see any obvious problems with the wires behind the front panel.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-11, 12:23 AM
Since this is the same problem you had with the previous transfer panel I suspect the problem is in the field wiring and not the transfer panel.

You need to stop thinking of the pump wiring as two 120 volt circuits!

Old 10-27-11, 09:56 AM
If he had a problem with the pump or wiring leading to the pump wouldn’t that show up when running it on utility voltage?

Does the pump work ok when connected to the transfer switch and the pump switches set to line instead of generator?

Old 10-27-11, 11:25 AM
The pump has always worked okay on utility power and has always been a problem on the generator. It is rather unlikely that TWO transfer panels would be defective, especially in the same manner.

Old 10-27-11, 11:57 AM
Group Moderator
As I said drag the genny to the pump and try it connected directly. No sense spinning our fixit wheels if the genny isn't going to drive the pump.

Old 11-12-11, 04:34 PM
I located the problem! I opened up the transfer box to check the wires connected to the back of each toggle switch and circuit breakers, and to run continuity tests... I noticed that for each toggle switch the red wire was attached to the top terminal, the black to the middle, and the orange/blue to the bottom... all except for the D circuit. The red and black wires were connected to the wrong terminals... I've attached two pictures to show how it looked. I was able to simply switch the wires by using needle nosed pliers to pull the wires off the terminals, swap and reconnect.

So I am not crazy after all!

Old 11-13-11, 10:03 AM
So what does that mean? They wired both of your transfer switches wrong ?! If so that is fricken scary.