led lights ciruit - qucik help needed

Old 10-10-11, 12:24 PM
Exclamation led lights ciruit - qucik help needed

Hi, I am setting up a new aquarium and bought 2 led panels. Their specifications are
DC forward Voltage: 10-12V
DC forward current: 1000mA max
Rated power: 12W max

Now this didnt come with any driver or power cords. I need to fix this onto my aquarium hood. What would be the cheapest way to light them. I am planning to get a 12v dc tramsformer with 1A current output, split the wires and connect the led panels in series with the 2 wires from the transformer. Will that work?

Thanks
jo

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-11, 01:25 PM
Hi jo,
If I'm reading correctly you have 2 panels that EACH need 12 volts and 1 amp (1,000 mA) so putting them in series won't work. What you need is the correct power supply that should have come with them, but one 12V 2 amp supply would power them in parallel. Note that the supply you want is a DC supply and not an AC. There needs to be more in that little package than just a transformer.

Bud

Old 10-10-11, 01:42 PM
Group Moderator
Sure this wasn't a resealed box? I have bought lots of things missing parts that on closer examination were returns that were restocked or boxes resealed after parts were shoplifted out of them.

Old 10-11-11, 03:35 PM
Thank you guys for your quick response.

I bought these to be specific:
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

So, i guess i was wrong. I am planning to get three more. So i will use a 12v 5amp dc power supply and connect them in parallel. That should work i guess. True?

Thanks
jo

Old 10-12-11, 03:40 AM
It will work, however it's never a good idea to run a power supply at its full rating. It will run hot. It's best to run it at 80% of its capacity, which mean four devices (in parallel).