Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Finding a 410.16(c) LED Luminaire suitable for storage space

Old 10-13-11, 08:13 AM

I got Mike Holt's newsletter today with some closet fixture info, citing changes in 410.16. I am wondering how to search for an LED luminaire suitable for installation within the closet storage space.

Anybody have a hint for me? Thanks in advance.

Relevant text:
Luminaires must maintain a minimum clearance from the closet storage space as follows [410.16(C)]:
Surface-mounted fluorescent or LED luminaires are permitted within the closet storage space if identified for this use.

Source: Mike Holt Newsletters

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-11, 11:49 AM
Closet Lighting

Have seen light fixtures at the big box stores labeled as suitable for closet lighting. Just saying look at the labels on the box for starters. The sales people probably will not know.

I Googled "LED closet light fixtures" and got several hits.

Old 10-13-11, 06:55 PM
Group Moderator
410.16(c) is just the same rules for light fixtures in a closet. 12" away from the shelf/rod for incandescent (and enclosed) 6" for florescent. The only change is they added wording that covers LED fixtures.

Old 10-14-11, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
410.16(c) is just the same rules for light fixtures in a closet. 12" away from the shelf/rod for incandescent (and enclosed) 6" for florescent. The only change is they added wording that covers LED fixtures.
Please elaborate, since you seem to be contradicting the source.

Holt is talking about the 2011 revisions. I quoted him directly in my original post: "Surface-mounted fluorescent or LED luminaires are permitted within the closet storage space if identified for this use."

My interpretation of that was that if the fixture is labeled with a phrase such as "suitable for installation within the closet storage space" that the 12-inch and 6-inch spacing does not apply.

Old 10-14-11, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by Wirepuller38 View Post
Have seen light fixtures at the big box stores labeled as suitable for closet lighting. Just saying look at the labels on the box for starters. The sales people probably will not know.

I Googled "LED closet light fixtures" and got several hits.
Yes, I'll check the usual local sources. But under the 2011 code, am I misunderstanding that there is a difference between a fixture suitable for a closet and a fixture suitable for mounting within the closet storage space?

The google hits that I got referred to closet fixtures, not closet storage space fixtures, and most if not all of them were battery-operated fixtures. Not what I am looking for, which is not surprising, since I am often looking for things that do not exist.

Old 10-14-11, 09:18 AM
Group Moderator
Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I though your were just asking about LED fixtures in a closet. I see now you are looking for a fixture that can be installed in the storage space. I have not see or have used any light that ca be installed in that location. Most cases we will install a florescent light on the door header above the door. Some under cabinet lights might work for you.

Old 10-15-11, 07:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A LED fixture that was suitable for use in the storage space would allow it to be mounted within the 6" or 12" clearance requirements that other fixtures are prohibited from.